Betta Fish Forum banner

My Wild Type Flares

8K views 77 replies 8 participants last post by  Setsuna 
#1 ·
#5 ·
They will most likely have a bit of a fight, tear some fins maybe batter a couple of scales and then the loser will back off and the winner will just swim around lording it over him.

All bettas are aggressive. It's just the varying degrees of aggression between the different species and complexes. Most aggressive bettas I have are Betta ideii. It has been known for partners to kill each other or for females to harass and kill their males while they are holding eggs.

My female and male were intent on killing each other when I first got them. Then my female recently tried to kill my unimaculata male when I tried him in with her.

#12 ·
How are your fry going Setsuna? I am interested in comparing the growth rate of the different species/complexes.

So far I have found that my bigger mouthbrooding fry (unimaculata, strohi) are growing at a much faster rate than my coccina complex fry (persephone, rutilans, tussyae). This is in the same conditions and being fed the same foods.

Just wanted to see how imbellis compared. Also have you ran into any problems with missing ventrals? This seems to be a solely splendens based issue as even when my wild fry were on MWs for several weeks and I was lax on vacuuming their tank, hey all developed normal ventral fins. I have yet to have any of my wild betta fry show up with missing ventrals.

#20 ·
If you find some from a seller in the U.S. you're looking at $35.00 for two day shipping (some offer $15-$25 priority shipping but it will be 3+ days so definitely do not opt for it in the winter).

Prices for imbellis tend to be around $8-$12 each, or $25 a pair depending on who you buy from. The showier looking ones can go for a lot more. Wild caught will also cost more because they're typically only available from sellers in Asia so that's an additional $10 for shipping and probably a higher base price.

If anyone here ever wants to reserve a pair or pack of juveniles from me I will offer a really good price, not much more than the cost of shipping. I only have the ocellata fry right now though. They will need homes but they will be up to 5" long so they will need 20G+ tanks.

#26 ·
You clean your room? I thought adults just ignored it. My room is humid with dirt on tge floor. Setsuna where did you get those fish?

#58 ·
You clean your room? I thought adults just ignored it. ...
Of corse we clean our rooms Cho! It's caled a house! :lol:

It's kind of like my older nephew who thinks that when you grow up, you don't have to follow any rules and can make your own when in fact, you have more rules to follow! You have rules from the government, employeers, taxes, landlords, banks, bill collectors, city, and various other random rule makers. *sigh* I miss childhood :cry:
Posted via Mobile Device

#31 ·
Oh goodness, Choclate. You should see my two rooms. Our bedroom is finally kind of clean but because my husband said the same thing to me xD "Clean it or you can't have the 55" It worked.

But our sunroom is just awful. I hate ignoring it but it's so much work and between kid, chores, fish and dog.. I gave up. Being an adult is fun but don't grow up too fast, it's not easy. So much responsibility.. it's easy to become overwhelmed.

#41 ·
Are they two new pairs of imbellis or of another species?

I can't remember if you have or were trying to locate some pure Betta stiktos. Have you had any luck in that regard? They are a nice looking fish but seem pretty hard to find in 'pure' form.

I reckon wild-caught bettas are pretty easy to acclimatise and settle in as long as the conditions in your tank are good. I've never had any issue with settling wild-caught bettas in or getting them conditioned to spawn.

#44 ·
The new ones that im getting is a pair of imbellis (again just love how they way they look) and a pair of mahachaiensis. I was supposed to get a pair of smaragdina and a male splenden (wild type)but i told my friend thats too many bettas at one time so i told him to send me the mahachaiensis and imbellis first then send the other pair next shipment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.