Betta Fish Forum banner

Black Edge On Caudal Fin-Rot Or Color?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  dovahkiin 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone! I'm a new Betta parent in need of some advice. I've had Francis about 2 months now. Petco was selling "baby bettas", and I know it's a gimmick but they were so freaking cute. I'd never had fish before, so I went home and did the research, set up a 2.5 gal tank with a heater and bought Francis a couple weeks later. He/she seems is growing well and seems to be quite content. A few weeks ago I noticed his/her caudal fin had a dark, blackish line around the edge. I've read that black edges can be a sign of fin rot. None of the other fins have this edge, just the back. I'll attach pictures to show.
Here is the levels of the tank:
pH: 8.0
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: 0 ppm
temp: 78 F
I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd keep an eye on it. But at the moment it just looks his coloring coming in. If it progresses at ALL i would start treating for fin rot.

#7 ·
I looks like it's just his natural color and when it comes in completely it will probably look really pretty with the red and black. If his fins start to turn gray and look shredded then it's fin rot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.