Betta Fish Forum banner

Which do you prefer?

962 views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Lion Mom 
#1 ·
Here it is, the big thread question... when it comes to LPS, do you prefer Petco or Petsmart? I have gotten all 3 of my bettas from Petco, because they have a larger variety of bettas there. However, the fish there are usually sick or dying, and although some are stunning, they aren't taken care of very well. I prefer Petsmart, because they have sooooo many more fish supplies and the bettas their have water in their cups filled all of the way to the top, and the water is treated with meds to keep the fish healthier. They are fed more often too, and the fish just look happier there. That is my honest opinion. Petsmart for me! What is yours?

#3 ·
Petland, 'cause the bettas are kept in half gallon vases with clean water, and there werent very many in the betta area :D So they dont overstock and keep them in tiny cups or nothin'. There couldn't have been more than 15 in the store :D

#4 ·
I think Petsmart for supplies and Petco for bettas since they have more varieties.

Both Petsmart and Petco in my area keep their bettas pretty well. Petsmart at home has a MUCH wider selection of fish supplies than the Petco there... At college, they're both about equal with regard to selection... depends what you're looking for.

Petco has more varieties of bettas. They usually have plakats, delta tails, crown tails, and king bettas in addition to veiltails. If ever I'm buying a betta, I'm probably going to go to Petco because I want a delta tail.

#6 ·
Yeah, Petco definitely has a better selection, and a much larger stock of bettas, but so few are healthy. I prefer Petsmart for supplies and bettas, just because the crowntails they have near me are very cute and have full finnage. Bummer I can't get any more! But that would be insane. Hehe.

#7 ·
Really comes down to needs. Luckily Petsmart, Petco, a private owned fish store and Pet Supplies Plus are all a mile or two in terms of driving distance so will shop at any of these dependent on need.

Petsmart-large tropical fish selection and decent selection of live plants. Betta's look meh. Out of 5 small bowls I may find one that looks healthy.
Petco-small tropical fish selection but they carry a good selection of betta's and look well cared for. I purchased 5 females and my male here. All healthy and thriving. Great sales on tanks, purchased my 14 gallon with pretty much everything for 39.95!!
Private Owned fish store-Huge selection of tropical fish on display, decent selection of live plants. Betta's are meh, they didn't look too well in their small bowls.
Pet Supplies Plus-Best prices overall for maintenance items. Highest selection of fish food types.

#8 ·
I recently got an order from a chain pet store in my area for 40 of my Bettas. They are going to be kept in display tanks so they aren't sitting around in cups. I'm not impressed with either Petco or Petsmarts Betta keeping skills and they won't buy from an idividual like myself so we'll see how this other store does.

#11 ·
I like Petco for their betta selection and cleaness. Petsmart has a better selection of other fish, supplies, and decor. My LFS has great selection of other fish aswell including saltwater. I don't know about their bettas because I don't go there for them.

#14 ·
Indeed. Am sure it greatly depends on location and manager of each store but my Petco is the same way. Their Tropical fish section is small, only like 15 or so tanks setup with various species. They make up for it with a nice Betta section, decent variety and they look pretty healthy.

Now the Petsmart (a mile apart from Petco) has a wider selection of plants and has about 50+ tropical display tanks setup but their betta section is meh. Stopped by there last night and bought some Hornwort for 2 bucks. Did a drive by their betta section...let's just say nothings changed. :|

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.