Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta NOT making Bubble Nests

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  LittleBettaFish 
#1 ·
So my Betta, Prince William (see profile pic), hasn't made bubble nests in a while.

We've had him for about 6 weeks. At first he was in a 1 gallon unfiltered tank, but 3 weeks ago we moved him to a 5.5 gallon filtered tank.

The filter's current is a little strong but I've managed to slow it down a bit by putting tall plants under where the water flows. But the current is still strong enough that it keeps popping the few bubbles he gets to make.

He's not lethargic and he eats like normal.

But I read that bubble nests are signs of a happy Betta. I just wanted to make sure that he won't get sad because the filter keeps popping the bubbles that he makes. LOL!

#2 ·
A Bubblenest shouldn't be the only sign you take to make sure your betta is happy. In fact, some Betta's will make a bubble nest in filthy pet store cups. As long as he's eating, has good colour and seem's to swim all around his tank, he should be happy!

Question: Do you have a heater?

#3 ·
my guy did the same thing..he was in a 5 gal when I got him with no light, simply set up...the whole cover of the tank was a bubble nest after the second day, I since moved him into a 6.6 gal with light and I dont see one single bubble :/ This new tank is much nicer but I think he was more comfortable in the other tank for whatever reason, but like urs he is eating and active so im not too worried..i do wish hed blow some bubbles tho! ..you have a good point tho, perhaps our filters arent allowing them to keep the bubbles??

#7 ·
He probably just has so much fun exploring his new space, he's forgotten about making bubble nests for the time being :p Also, it's much easier for bubbles to stay intact when tanks are unfiltered because when dust particles settle on the water surface, they increase the density of the area and the bubbles are "stronger" for lack of a better word. Filters remove these particles so bubbles pop quickly.

#8 ·
Bubble nest building is one sign that he is in "breeding mode". They don't always stay in breeding mode. There will be times when they need to see females to induce nest building. Further, pumps and filters will immediately destroy bubbles. Bettas need a slightly thicker (debris or what ever) water surface. As long as your pumps are on, it's unlikely your little guy can build a nest.

#11 ·
One of my males is very docile. Most docile male I have. He never bubblenests. Not even when he was living in a breeders' box in my sorority tank or sharing a divided tank with a female. This is even after being kept on a high protein diet of live, frozen and pelleted foods.

He now lives in my big community tank and still no bubblenest. He's very active, healthy, and clearly loving having so much space to explore.

Just because they don't build bubblenests doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with them. It's a purely instinctual thing, and not an indication of good health or 'happiness' in bettas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.