Betta Fish Forum banner

What to look for in a rescue betta?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ninjafish 
#1 ·
I know this is kind of a wierd sounding thread, but I've been looking for my next betta to be a rescue. So what do you guys think is "worthy" of a rescue, not trying to sound harsh. Things I would consider would be severe fin rot, pop eye, or maybe SBD. What do you guys think?

#2 ·
I would look for a cracked cup, really dirty cup, severe fin rot, pop eye, Ich, torn fins, two bettas in one cup, Very thin, or SBD. Things like that.

#3 ·
I'm going to try to not sound like I'm on a soap box...

When it comes to buying/ rescuing a betta from a store you (hereafter speaking of the general public) have two obligations. 1 is to the fish that you want to save, 2 is to making that store PAY for what they do to their fish.

If a person wants to be serious about rescue they HAVE to REPORT, REPORT, REPORT. Buying a sick fish is honorable but its not going to solve anything except put money in the store's pocket to replace with another fish. When you see that special fish that is near death tell the employee AND the manager. If they seem reluctant to fix the situation then report them to corporate if they are a chain store. If they are not a chain (even if they are) threaten to contact PETA and the HSUS along with the media if things aren't improved. Usually a threat of PETA is enough to scare any pet store.

When you see a betta in need try to get the store to give it to you for free or discounted if possible. If they don't offer a discount than its ok to still buy it but make it be known that the store is going to have .... to pay for mistreating their animals.

Now as for what constitutes a rescue: unclean cups, any noticeable illness, lethargy.. anything that is visibly wrong that you can show the store and say "this is unacceptable".

Sorry if that sounded too much like a rant. I get a lot of flack for how I handled my wal-mart rescues but most people don't know I'm still working towards closing the fish section down in that place. Rescuing in its true form is more than buying a sick fish IMO,

#4 ·
-claps for 1f2f- Very well put.

#7 ·
I agree with 1fish2fish! Its important to let the pet store people know what is unacceptable..even if they shrug you off. Complain complain complain! :)

I think they will have to take you seriously puppyrjjkm! Even if you are 17, you're awfully close to being an adult.

#8 ·
My best suggestion is to use the complaint form on the actual website and lay out your complaints there, saying that you won't shop at that store again until the conditions are improved. I'm not a confrontational person, so I can never really go up and complain to a manager, and I've worked in retail too long to ever complain to a standard employee because I know that there are some things they would like to do, but are not allowed to. Also, if you complain over-much, that's the point when people working in retail start nodding and apologizing--and once you leave, they go find whatever other worker isn't doing anything and start talking. The conversation usually begins with "You wouldn't believe this customer I just had..." Even managers will do this sometimes, though they talk about it after the store's closed for the night.

Now, I know that there's a big, BIG difference between the guy who complained to me for ten minutes that there was an erotica section in the chain bookstore and someone genuinely protesting the treatment of live animals. But most employees won't care. Even those that work at a pet store might not like fish, so they might look at the fish as not being any different from books. Also, threatening someone with reporting it to corporate might not be the best idea, because (a) if you get too worked up, they will remember you when a complaint comes in, and (b) threats to report things don't have a lot of weight. I had one woman tell me that she was going to make sure I got fired when she misunderstood something I said to another employee, and I never even got a cursory "watch what you say to customers" note from my boss. No write-up, no nothing. I'd just report the fish treatment, and if it doesn't get better or the problems start occurring again, report again and get some of your friends to do the same. Not only is the volume of complaints important, but reporting something online means that your age doesn't matter--which it does in-store, unless you look over 25 or so (i.e. out of college).

I'm sorry, 1fish2fish, I'm not trying to undermine your suggestion, because I applaud what you're doing and how much gusto with which you're doing it! I just wanted to offer a different opinion based on how the average employee or young manager (and I swear, I'm actually a very conscientious employee) will handle customer complaints that they see as "unrealistic." I'm actually heading out to the Petco I submitted a complaint to about a week ago, just to see if they're treating their fish any better. So it'll be a good field test... It's definitely not to look at another girl for my sorority. Why would you get that idea? *shifty*

But on a more positive note, good job deciding to pick a rescue! They're very rewarding, because you can look at the fish in the bowl and say "it would've died without me!" Or something of the sort. :p

#9 ·
I understand you lastbook. I always try to go to the store management first but after that I always go to corporate (which is usually in the form of a letter or a 1-800 number). Writing letter's helps too and somewhere floating around the internet is a draft of a letter you can use to send to managers etc.

As far as age.. don't let that stop you. I'm only 19 so many people are inclined not to listen to me. Rehearse your argument and try to sound not emotional but tactful and firm. If your eloquent with your words people will be more inclined to believe you.

#10 ·
lastbook:
saying that you won't shop at that store again until the conditions are improved
Wish I could do that...but what if you only have one store that sells bettas? The other day I found a dead betta floating in its cup covered in fungus. I simply gave it to the employee and said, "You'd probably better dispose of this." They can be completely clueless-once I heard two saying that "all the bettas seem to be dying." Well what do you know-I looked and they almost all had Ick/Ich.

Hmmm...does a betta that jumped out of its cup count as a rescue? I also found one of those once. Wish I could rescue some but I have no room-I am working on making it though!

#11 ·
lastbook: Wish I could do that...but what if you only have one store that sells bettas? The other day I found a dead betta floating in its cup covered in fungus. I simply gave it to the employee and said, "You'd probably better dispose of this." They can be completely clueless-once I heard two saying that "all the bettas seem to be dying." Well what do you know-I looked and they almost all had Ick/Ich.
Honestly, if you're reporting it to corporate, the threat is enough. If you tell a store employee this, of course they're going to notice if you come back in. Ideally, you shouldn't be supporting a store that doesn't treat their bettas well, but you can still say it. Think of it as a little white lie to help save the fishies. :)

And 1fish2fish, I think the rehearsal of the argument is key. Because like I said, once customers start ranting, employees tune it out because they figure "this person is just going to yell at me no matter what, so I'll just think about what I'm going to get to eat when I get off instead of trying to make them happy when it's clearly impossible."

The Petco I'd reported was kind of a good news/bad news thing with the bettas. The water on all of them had clearly been changed out since I'd issued my complaint and the bettas looked better in general, but there were two dead ones, including a gorgeous blue & white butterfly HM that I would've gotten in a heartbeat despite having no more room. So I did bring it up with the person working the fish department, and am going to submit another complaint. I probably wouldn't have had the guts to talk to the employee about it if not for reading everyone's reactions here, so thanks for that.

Plus I bought the worst one there. Sigh. They gave me a discount (rang him up as a VT instead of a CT), and I know I shouldn't have given the discussion we're having about not supporting pet stores that treat their animals like this, but I'm a bleeding heart for animals in general. So here's Russell. And sadly, yes, the colors in the picture are true to life.

#12 ·
lastbook87-
the conditions have gotten a lot better, it really seems like if they have sick bettas those bettas were sick at the breeders. I know the day they get their shipments in and I normally go every time. Once there was one near death, and since it had just gotten there it couldn't have been their fault. I do occasionally see sick ones however, and I'll be sure to register a complaint if I see one next time.

#13 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean, and I doubt there's much that can be done about that when you consider that the breeders replace the ones that die (or at least I believe they do). So the stores have no reason to complain to the breeder about the health of the stock they get, which is a shame.

These discussions always make me want to go apply at Petsmart or something just so I can take care of the fish! I'm no expert, of course, but I could do more than is being done at most of them. And then I realize that if I got a job at a pet store, I would want to take home everything...

#14 ·
These discussions always make me want to go apply at Petsmart or something just so I can take care of the fish! I'm no expert, of course, but I could do more than is being done at most of them. And then I realize that if I got a job at a pet store, I would want to take home everything...
Yeah same here! Especially so I can correct the customers who don't know anything and save the bettas from terrible deaths at the hands of their ignorant owners ;). On the bright side, you'd get employee discounts so you could take home everything...

#15 ·
This thread got me thinking..Do you think all Petcos get their shipments of bettas in on the same day? I heard several people say that Wednesday was their betta shipment day, but I'm not sure..I guess I should ask someone next time I'm in there.

I wanted to know, because it'll be interesting to find out how many bettas come in sick. My petco doesn't often have sick bettas, but when they do, I let them know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.