Betta Fish Forum banner

Help with new little girl

559 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
I just picked her up yesterday and she was swimming around just fine and ate the pellet I gave her.
She was in a 2.5 minibow with a filter but I had to turn the filter off as it was too strong and was planning to get a gentler one today. No heater but the tank is at 74 degrees and holding steady.

Today when I woke up she was at the bottom of the tank and seemed pale (if a white fish can get paler) and seemed to be breathing hard. I'm not sure if it is stress? I put her in a critter keeper with a couple inches of water in a quite place to detress. All of my water is aged and dechlorinated. Her temporary tankmate is fine (a little stressed but she ate well and is swimming around) They were divided until I could get my other tank ready. Both are female betta.

I was wondering if I should do anything else for her. Shes small but healthy in appearance, no clamped fins...she just sits on the bottom looking lethargic and stressed.

#2 ·
The Temperature of the water might be to cold for her. Bettas are tropical fish and need a water temp. of 78-80 degrees. If your going to the store to get another filter, why don't you pick up a heater too. I use the Tetra submersible heater for my 2.5 mini bow.

#3 · (Edited)
I actually just picked one up, I was thinking that it could be the temperature but I have never had any problems with keeping the betta I have without heaters. I obviously can't heat her little critter cage but I think I'll add the heater now to the minibow and get the new filter going and see about adding her later this morning or afternoon. For now I turned the heater on in my bathroom and put her critter keeper in there with the door shut to see if she perks up

#4 ·
Every Betta is different. Some may be able to handle the lower Temperature while other bettas can't. I could also be the stress of a new environment. Can her and her tank mate clearly see each other? That may also contribute to the stress. If you have plants in the tank place the plants along the divider so they can't see each other so clearly. That may help. Right now I would just put the heater in and see if their condition improves.

#5 ·
there arent any plants at the moment so I am sure they can see each other. I'll put something up when I pick my dog up at petsmart today after her grooming. The other fish is fine and I have the heater and new filer in place right now. I'll try adding the sickly looking one back later on today. She's chilling in the bathroom for now. I hope she makes is as she's a gorgeous halfmoon dragon with white scaling. So sweet and pretty. Thanks for the suggestions. I've never had one look so sick all of a sudden.

#7 ·
The tank is undecorated for the most part, so I'll also had a few more plants and I have a small cave, I can put in the water for her. Hopefully that will help her. I hope shes not sick :-(. I have never had one sick before that didn't have anything visibly wrong with it.

#10 ·
She still is acting funny.....hiding at the bottom or in her plant or cave. She swims up for air no problem but won't eat...Oh wells I'll just leave her alone and give her time....I've never had such a timid fish. Usually the bettas I've had have been so energetic and curious

#12 ·
Oh trust me, I had a male betta, Dusk, who was so sensitive to water change, new home, everything. Versus Spartan who could care less and willingly hops into the cup (which I used to use for him but now use to scoop water into the filter xD) even if I don't want him to... Lol. Sometimes you'll get a finicky betta, or a happy-go-lucky one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.