Betta Fish Forum banner

Why are Tango's fins curling?

6K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  vaygirl 
#1 ·
You guys know he's in a HUGE tank, so space is not an issue. Every now and again, he blows or bites his tail and that seems to grow back fine. But his anal fin and his ventral fins are curling like crazy. At one point one ventral grew into itself in the shape of a C. I put a half dose of betta fix in his tank to help his tail heal and noticed that the ventral uncurled a bit just after and while it's still curling, it's not grown into itself anymore.

So I guess my question is, what causes curling besides water quality? I test my params every week, do weekly small water changes and vacuuming. His parameters are almost always 0,0,5 or 0,0,10. PH is 7.4 to 7.6.

#6 ·
That's what they suggested at Petco. They also said that I should let the water sit out for a couple of days before water changes. I wanted to check with you guys first because, well, they're Petco and sometimes they have no idea what they're talking about.

#7 ·
Okay first of all I have to say bettafix is a huge gimmick. The ONLY active ingredient is Melaluca (Tea-Tree) oil which is an antiseptic and that is about it. Basically Purell for fishies. Any 'uncurling' of finnage is most likely due to the removal of the betta from the cup of ammonia it has been stweing in at the pet store.

Hard water will cause a betta's fins to curl. There are many ways to soften your water, the most economical of which are

a) Run the water through a Brita pitcher before adding it to the tank
b) Bottled water
c) Indian Almond Leaf. The chemicals released by the leaves will bond to minerals in the water, making it softer.

I think you should see good results by filtering your water and using IAL.

#10 ·
The Brita pitcher seems like the best idea for me. I do have a Pur filter on my faucet but I'm really pitiful about filters for the darn thing and it'll be good to have a backup. I'll get some IAL too. Thanks Kelly! You always have good answers. :)

#11 ·
Would the blackwater extract they sell at petstores work too? Just curious.

#12 ·
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were supposed to be very cautious with/not use filtered or bottled water as fish water...

This was because the parameters of the water could be different between different batches of bottled water, and over time, the efficiency of the Brita or other filter would change as it neared time to be replaced, changing the parameters of the water too... And as we all know, a sudden change in water parameters = one unhappy and unhealthy fishy. :(

Just a thought. Of the three options, I'd probably go with the Indian Almond Leaf over changing the kind of water that he's in.

#13 ·
Glad I could help Vaygirl ^_^

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were supposed to be very cautious with/not use filtered or bottled water as fish water...

This was because the parameters of the water could be different between different batches of bottled water, and over time, the efficiency of the Brita or other filter would change as it neared time to be replaced, changing the parameters of the water too... And as we all know, a sudden change in water parameters = one unhappy and unhealthy fishy. :(

Just a thought. Of the three options, I'd probably go with the Indian Almond Leaf over changing the kind of water that he's in.
With IAL you run the risk of the parameters changing whenever you change the water because you are taking out the IAL water and replacing it with tapwater and then the IAL take about a day to soak bakc into it. So as far as I am concerned it is a moot-point. Also bear in mind that Brita Filters last for a good couple of months, you can also test the hardness if you think it filter is working at less efficiency. But I would not consider a change of up to 30ppm even perceptibly significant on a scale of up to 300 and higher.

I'm not sure about BWE...I will have to see if I remember where I saw the chemical in IAL that netralises hardness and see if it's an ingredient in BWE.

#14 ·
To be honest, I have that problem with my tap water. Last month it's ph was 7.6. This month it's 6.

I really only do 20% changes weekly on all my tanks because they're cycled so there won't be huge swings for mine. I guess if you're doing 100% you'd have to be more careful.

#18 ·
I ordered an API kh/gh testing kit (cause strips are awful) and I got it today. According to it, my gh is 125 (soft, or slightly hard depending on what I've read) and my kh is 3, both in my tap and in Tango's tank.

I know we always doubt bettafix but I gotta tell you guys, Tango's fins have uncurled a lot on the bottom and on his ventral since I added it to his tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.