Betta Fish Forum banner

Oh dear... he floats

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  BabblingFish 
#1 ·
So... I've just gotten my first betta today. He's small, but cute and pretty fiesty, which is why I chose him. It wasn't until I got him into his nice 5 gal aquarium however that I noticed that he can't seem to stay down. Every time he stops swimming, he floats to the top.

I've looked into threads here that seemed similar, and I guess it sounds like a swimbladder thing. I just wanted to clarify however; is the appropriate plan of action to fast him for a few days and then feed daphnia?

I hope it's nothing I've done wrong. I guess he might have already had the issue before I got him. I almost feel as though I should be trying not to get too attached to him until I know that he'll survive past a week.

#2 ·
Fasting him for a few days and then feeding daphnia should help. I don't think it is anything you did hun - a lot of the times bettas at the store have so much wrong because of the horrible living conditions and stressful shipping. Good luck!

#4 ·
The fasting and daphnia sounds good. If it doesn't seem to be working I use a mashed up pea as a last resort. It is not technically the "best" for them, but does seem to work better than the daphnia in a severe situation.

My girl Edelweiss had SBD when I bought her - actually I bought her because I thought no one else would buy a plain, girl betta floating at the top of the cup :p The daphnia didn't really help her so I tried a pea and that really did it. I only fed her once a day for a while and used daphnia frequently and peas on really bad days. I also fasted her several times a week. Now, you'd never know she had a problem! She eats as much as all my other fish and I've never seen her have any trouble swimming....luckily as far as diseases go SBD is a pretty easy fix :)

#5 ·
Thanks for the tips... and the reassurance. We'll see how it goes. He seems pretty lively otherwise. He's got good color and he seems to like exploring the tank.

Oh, and one other thing. As emergency, last resort peas go... are we talking about an english pea or a black eyed pea? Just thought I ought to figure that part out. Hopefully it won't get to that point though.

#6 ·
Scratch that. I've just now seen him this morning and he looks perfectly fine. I don't know what it was, but now he's happily swimming laps around the tank. My dad had some theory about a change in water density and having to compensate for it. I have no clue, but I'm happy because he's not floating!

#8 ·
Do you have a filter? My betta is in a 5 gal and every once in a while i notice that he gets to the bottom of the tank where the filter water flow hits causing him to rise up with it.

Hope that makes sense.

He's a show off so he seems to enjoy it :)

#9 ·
hahaha lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.