Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #1 
Moonshine357

What does a tail blow out look like?

I ended up dividing my 30 gallon.

This morning I woke up to Moonshine having a large chunk missing out of the middle of his tail, he has tail all around the area that is missing. I'm wondering if its from flaring at Dread Pirate and Inferno too much? Maybe I should put him back in his critter carrier?

I tried to get a picture but he hides from the camera.

I'm in the middle of doing a fish in cycle, but so far my parameters haven't been that far off. I've have to do one 40% water change to get the ammonia back down, it was darker than .50 but not as dark as 1 when I tested it.

Temperature is fluctuating a lot. At night it's 75 and during the day it's eighty. When I get paid Tuesday I'm buying a second heater.
Moonshine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #2 
xShainax

Could be tail biting.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #3 
CoolishPrune3

How long has he been in the new tank for. As, xShainax said, it could be tail biting. If he was recently moved into this new tank of yours, he might have stress and this is causing him to bite his tail. Do you have any decorations or plants?
CoolishPrune3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #4 
Moonshine357

He's been in the big tank since Tuesday, five days. How long should I give him before I pull him out? I don't want him hurting himself.

Would tail biting happen closer to the end of the tail or closer to his body? This is pretty close to his body. If you were to imagine the tail divided into thirds it would start maybe a third away from his body. I'm not sure if he could bend like that. I got a better look at it, it's a rectangle with rounded edges, so I guess it could be a large tail bite.

All of the plants are silk and passed the nylon test, I'm pretty confident they are fine. I checked the dividers for burs and ground them down. His mug was in his old tank.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #5 
CoolishPrune3

I would assume that tail biting is like biting your toung or lip, no specific location as far as I know. I would give him at least 5 more days. I am now thinking it is the water change from one location to another, assuming you moved from one town or state to another.
CoolishPrune3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #6 
Moonshine357

Nope. Just started out keeping bettas in way too small of containers. Listened to awful advice from petsmart. Moonshine lived in a .5 gallon jar for 6 months with me doing water changes once a week thinking I was doing a good job. Upgraded to a 3 gallon critter keeper in June. Then I recently found a reasonably priced 30 gallon with everything at goodwill. Once I got it set up I moved my four oldest guys over.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #7 
xShainax

I have had them bite close to their body before
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #8 
Moonshine357

Alright, I am going to assume it's a tail bite and wait. If he continues to be anxious he can go back in his critter keeper I guess.

I can't help but think about my dog who was on anxiety meds, and wish for fish ones. How crazy am I?