Betta Fish Forum banner

Ich help

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  BlueHaven 
#1 ·
dose anyone know the most effective ICH treatment for my betta Bubblez im so worried i love my betta i want him to be happy and healthy so if anyone could help we would appreciate it....thank you

#2 ·
Raise the temps to 83 degrees and add 1 tsp of AQ salt for every 5 gallons, read the instructions because memory fails me lol I personally would put the fish into a bare bottomed container for his treatment as this will be easier for 100% daily water changes :)

This is something I posted a few days ago on another thread similar

I would recommend putting your betta in a bare bottomed quarantine tank, this will be easier to do 100% daily water changes. The tank should also have aeration,ick is known to attach itself to fish gills making it difficult for them to breath and as cooler water has more oxygen than warm this is essential when raising the water temps. Add about 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water and change the water 100% daily adding the same amount of aquarium salt each time, you should continue the treatment for a week and if the ich is still present visit your LFS for an anti ich medication.

You should also carry out a 50% water change on his main home, cleaning the decorations and gravel, If I am wrong someone is bound to correct me, so stay tuned for people with more experience than me :smile:

#6 ·
Ich is a parasite so its best to just leave him in the tank he is in because the whole tank must be treated regardless.

First.. heat your tank to at least 86*F (do this slowly over a few days). Ich does not like high temperatures and it also speeds the life cycle of the parasite up so it dies faster.

Keep your tank dark. This will help the fish be less stressed.

I use Quick Cure. You can also use aquarium salt to treat it, but it doesn't actually kill the ich.. just makes it fall off the fish. IMO its better to skip the aquarium salt and just go with a medication when it comes to something like this. With the Quick cure you are going to dose every day and do a water change every third day. If you have a tank smaller than two gallons your going to have to do a water change every day. Always use the same dose when you change the water.

Treat for 2 weeks. It usually takes about a week to see the ich disappear and another week for it to be completely killed.

#12 ·
Mine has gotten ick from the new plant I put in his tank (-_-).
But i've been gradually adding aquarium salt in his tank again after doing a large water change, and then since monday i've been using bettafix. I think it's helping him since there aren't as many white dots on him anymore. I keep his temperature at 80-82 now.
I hope yours gets better soon too!

#13 ·
Ich is in almost every aquarium. Fish don't get ich unless they have compromised immune systems from improper water care, bad nutrition, cool temperatures, sickness, etc. Putting a plant in the tank would not cause ich.

#14 ·
Well, I don't know where else it came from because his water quality is good, I always keep it clean and his temp is kept warm to and he has a good diet.
Could it just be stress from recent changes in his home and having a badly torn fin (healing up now, it was from a badly made silk plant)?

#15 ·
It's possible, especially if he was exposed to rapid changes in water parameters or water temperature. I have seen fish get ich as a result of temperature fluctuations. Poor water quality is simply the most common cause. You should use a thermometer to make sure the temperature is stable throughout the day and night, and always acclimate the fish slowly after water changes.

In the future I would not use Bettafix. It is merely an antiseptic and won't effectively kill the ich when it is free-swimming. Instead, if you must, use a treatment with the ingredient malachite green, such as Quick Cure or Jungle's Ick Clear.

#16 ·
Thank you both for the info. :)
I'm sorry if I was rude, I did not mean to be. I was just kinda freakin out,
overworrying about it. I've had a fish die before from a sickness....but I know
worrying aint gonna help. haha

How is your betta doing now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.