Betta Fish Forum banner
1M views 15K replies 837 participants last post by  ThatFishThough 
#1 ·
Alright, let's admit it, we are all guilty of fantasy shopping on Aquabid (and sometimes even splurging!) I thought I would start a thread for people to show off their dream betta's, unusual colors, and exciting purchases!

#11,845 ·
Okay Aquabidders...I have my first 2 AB fish coming in this week. They should arrive on Wednesday (since I paid express) and my plan is to take them to school, where their permanent tanks are located, on Thursday.

My issue is what to do with them in between when I get them and when I take them to work. Should I just float them in heated water to keep them warm? Should I bring some tap water from work, add prime, and add a bit of fresh water to their bags? Move them to cups and add the whole freshwater bit?

I appreciate any and all suggestions! I'm so nervous with this being my first imported fish. I appreciate all help!

#11,846 ·
If I'm going to transport fish the next day, I usually just leave them in their bags and float them in another tank to keep them warm till the next day. If you're worried about water quality, then you can do a Drip Acclimation and do a water change for them, they'll be okay if they acclimate to your home water and then acclimate to school water the next day, it won't be so stressful on them.

I also use old PetCo or PetSmart cups (PetSmart cups tend to work better for this) and put them in that to acclimate to the tank water at home and let them float over night, if the cup wants to move while floating, I take a twisty tie and hook it over the edge of the cup (or in the circle hole if the cap is on to prevent jumping) and then over the edge of the tank to keep them there. Then bring to wherever the next day :)

#11,850 ·
Thanks for the advise! I have a hospital tank I can set up with a heater to float them in, may even find a way to block their view of each other to help minimize stress. I'll then take them to work, switch them to cups, and drip acclimate them to their new tanks.

Hopefully everyone arrives safely!! This stress of waiting is a killer!!

#11,866 ·
Sooo my fish were supposed to arrive to Jesse yesterday and since I paid express shipping, should have been shipped today. Should I be worried that I haven't heard anything? Anyone use Jesse before? Not sure if he is just slow on communication or something went wrong....

Of course I could just be overly anxious aND it's no bid deal lol

#11,876 ·
Well I'm bummed. Emailed Jesse and turns out the fish didn't ship yesterday because USPS was having technical issues and he couldn't print labels. They should ship today but I had everything planned and ready for them to arrive today. I was even able to get off early to take care of them. I won't be able to do that tomorrow. Ugh

Okay, done venting. Back to worrying until they get here....

#11,877 ·
Transhipping

Jesse did a good job with my 2. the temps were sub zero so he put extra insulation and heat pack and had the post office hold my package inside rather than delivery to my frigid porch. I really appreciated his thoughtfulness.
He communicated really thoroughly too--just waiting until he had all the info to email me. I hope this reassures you and that your new babies arrive safe and sound!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.