Betta Fish Forum banner

Filter Carbon???

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Destinystar 
#1 ·
In my 12 gallon Nano tank, there is a bag of filter carbon. Now, this thing has been in there for a long time (at least 2 years) but lately with the fish healing thatI have been trying to do, I am being extremely safety cautious about everything... Does filter carbon has an experation date? I know that when I clean the filter, the carbon drains black water out. It is very easy to break the individual peices of carbon inside... Anyone have the answer???

#3 · (Edited)
For your reference, instructions from my Fluval Spec V says:
Change carbon filter mesh bag unit every 4-6 weeks, that's why it is in the top compartment of the foam block.

Change the Biomax mesh bag unit every 6 month, that's why it is at the bottom compartment.

Change foam block that houses the above 2 items every year.

It seems like the carbon filter looses its effectiveness in about 4-6 weeks and therefore needs replacement as per Fluval's instructions for my tank.

#4 ·
Carbon absorbs impurities in the water as it passes by. It gets to the point where it gets saturated and stops doing any good. Left in place, it can actually start leaching those same impurities back into the water, causing more problems. Carbon should be changed every 4 to 6 weeks. If this is not possible, you should discontinue the use of it totally!

#9 ·
I have a bio wheel type tank and the carbon fllter I havent changed since my tank was cycled many months ago for fear of losing BB. I do swipe it around in tank water I save from my water change about once a month. Is this good for should I think about replacing it now since I read it can leak bad things bad into the water once its old ?

#11 ·
Thanks waterdog that is the same tank I have I really like it. I will replace it in a day or two that really scared me I had never thought is could leek out anything bad is not replaced, I have always heard not to replace it cause of the BB. I did just not take it out and run conditioned water over it till the water came out clean but getting a new one as soon as I can get to the pet shop...thanks so much for the info !!!!

#14 ·
Thanks waterdog that is the same tank I have I really like it. I will replace it in a day or two that really scared me I had never thought is could leek out anything bad is not replaced, I have always heard not to replace it cause of the BB. I did just not take it out and run conditioned water over it till the water came out clean but getting a new one as soon as I can get to the pet shop...thanks so much for the info !!!!
I love mine too! I hope one day to replace all my smaller betta tanks with this one!

i have the same problem as perseusmom but no biowheel... i put some sponge in there a couple weeks back but the filter didn't come with any in it that i can see. can i just cut the filter bag open, remove the carbon and keep using it like that? it seems like regular filter material on the outside.
You could, but IMO you should not have to go through all that effort. In a cycled tank you have BB on everything, walls, gravel, decorations, the filter housing, etc. Replacing the filter should not cause a problem.

#12 ·
i have the same problem as perseusmom but no biowheel... i put some sponge in there a couple weeks back but the filter didn't come with any in it that i can see. can i just cut the filter bag open, remove the carbon and keep using it like that? it seems like regular filter material on the outside.

#13 ·
Mushumouse I have heard some people on the forum say they have done just that but wait for others to answer as I am not sure myself how that would work out. I hve also heard you dont really need the carbon at all so that is one reason I stopped replacing my carbon filter and also that is holds some BB. So confusing and I am a great worrier over everything when it comes to the health of my fish Perseus he is my lil bud I want him and his water safe as possible !!!!

#16 ·
There is BB on everything, but a whole ton of it is in your filter, on the filter media (floss, filter cartridge, whatever). Do not replace the whole cartridge. You don't need carbon anyway...all it does is remove meds if you're using them or takes out colors/smells that prolly shouldn't be there anyway.

What I did was cut the filter floss open, remove the carbon (yeah, a mess), and then shove the empty floss cartidge back into the filter. I do not intend to replace the cartridge until the floss is falling apart, but I do clean it regularly by swishing it around in old tank water.

I really think stating that cartridges need to be replaced so often is a scam so you'll buy more of them. It actually hurts your fish to be removing so much BB so often.

#17 ·
I really think stating that cartridges need to be replaced so often is a scam so you'll buy more of them. It actually hurts your fish to be removing so much BB so often.
WOW, really?
1) I don't sell filters so why would I want to make someone buy more?
2) NO it does not hurt the fish to change the filters. I do it once a month in 5 tanks with no ill effects.
3) Carbon does do more than take meds out of water. It dechlorinates, (thus it is in RO units which I have) and purifies.

I think people need to offer more experiences and stop trying to make people think their way is the only way.

Sorry, I just hate it when people try to scare new keepers and are rude to other members, which IMO that post was.

I appologize for going off mushumouse and Perseusmom.

#19 ·
Waterdog, I'm fairly sure Bethy's comment was aimed at petshops, not you. Chill. 8D

In the vast majority of tanks, I completely agree with Bethy - carbon is unnecessary and it is safe to remove it. I can't comment on RO water, but with normal water, it isn't removing anything that you don't want, and may remove things that you do. To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't remove chlorine (which is why you need a dechlorinator on that) but I'm prepared to be corrected if that is not the case.

As Bethy said, the majority of BB is in the filter, so a tank may experience a mini-cycle when it is removed or changed. Always a good idea to seed the new filter media in the tank first. You may not notice any ill effects, but there is probably a little surge in ammonia and nitrite levels which will calm down quickly. :)

#21 ·
Waterdog, I'm fairly sure Bethy's comment was aimed at petshops, not you. Chill. 8D

As Bethy said, the majority of BB is in the filter, so a tank may experience a mini-cycle when it is removed or changed. Always a good idea to seed the new filter media in the tank first. You may not notice any ill effects, but there is probably a little surge in ammonia and nitrite levels which will calm down quickly. :)
Oh that explains my spikes in nitrites and nitrates in the last two days after i changed the carbon bag....i did not know i have to seed it first :shock:

#20 ·
Oh my! I didn't mean to be rude or anything! Please, that's not my intent at all. I don't think I could be rude even if I tried, I'm a softy for sure.:oops:

I certainly didn't direct my sentence about changing filters at anyone on here. But I will stand by my statement that most filters don't need carbon on a regular basis. I do not run it in my seven filters at all....well, I did to clear out meds, that's it.

I don't know anything about RO water at all, so that may be a different ballgame. But, if you don't NEED carbon, and it's a pain to remember when to change it and possibly bad if you have to take the whole cartridge out, then why do it? There are many ways to keep fish, yes, but I think we'd all like to make it as easy and safe as possible, right?

ANOTHER NOTE: I used to change filter cartridges with regularity. And had fish stress and death I didn't understand. Now I do...it can cause a mini cycle. I have been there, and done that, and it's much better now that I've stopped that. I just wanna help...

#22 ·
Oh boy back to being confused again...lol It seems to make sense that if you dont replace now and then they might leek bad things bad into the water, I took mine out today and put it over a clear cup and poured conditioned water over it and shook it out many times and yes the water that came out was very dirty so I kept doing this till the water started o become clear again. I really want to replace is very soon so I was thinking you could cut off the blue part of the filter and put it on top of the new one using a rubberband so you would still have the BB that is on it and it would spread to the new one.

Talk of a mini cycle is scary and this is my first tank and fish ever so I am still learning and willing to learn all I need to know to keep Perseus safe thats why I use Prime and have some live plants also. I think everyones input is welcome and then we can try to put it all together for ourselves and as to what makes the most common sense so keep sharing your experience ....Thanks !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.