Betta Fish Forum banner

Help me estimate the ages of my bettas. (pictures)

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  xShainax 
#1 ·
I appologize if this is not the correct place for this post.

I was wondering if anyone could help me guess the ages of the following bettas. Also, I would like to hear any opinions/remarks you have on them.

The first one is a male double tail halfmoon named Hank.

The second one is a female veiltail named Penny.

The last picture highly exaggarates Hank's colors, I had the camera's flash on. His colors are more accurately represented in the first pictures.

See less See more
#2 ·
I estimate its about 3 Months old.

Still growing too!

Female is about the same too. any size estimate?

1"? or 2"? if its lesser than a inch is younger than 2 months if it about a inch its as old as 2.5+ Months and by that, base it on the body do not include the tail.

Check that flare out, its just still too cute :)

#6 ·
Females and males should not live together! What size is your tank?
The male can kill her if housed together too long. Yes even if they're showing no signs of agression. On different occasions, two people here on the forum housed a male and female together for over a YEAR with no agression. We told them they needed to seperate them but those people didn't listen and ironically, a few days later the female was killed by the male.
Are those pet store bettas? Per store bettas aren't worth breeding because they're just mutts with totally unknown genetics.
Have you also read the stickies, are you ready to cull, jar 50+, feed the fry, have grow out tanks, where do you plan on selling all these babies?

#8 ·
So I'm guessing you would suggest I go on aquabid and spend over 50 dollars on each fish just to have something go wrong during the spawning, leaving one or both dead? I don't think your attempt to belittle me is very necessary. For one, I have given you no reason to believe I am an irresponsible fish owner. Just because you don't like the fact that I want to breed "mutts?"

#12 · (Edited)
No, that's not what I want.
What I want people to do is do it PROPERLY, where NONE end up dead. You can get well bred bettas with good form and you get to know their genetics for about $10, right in the betta classified section.

I guessed you had lack of knowledge on breeding when I see you want to breed pet store bettas of opposite tail types, and you seem satisfied that they will kill each other as long as they didn't cost much, and you just joined this month. I'm not hating on new members, I was a new member at one point, and some of my friends here are newbies. But there are plenty of new people coming here like you, breeding for the sake of breeding. Most of those fry are going to end up in cold bowls, with owners who lack care knowledge or just down right don't care about the betta's well being. If you breed quality you can sell them to owners and breeders providing quality care.

Edit: oh forgot to mention. Good breeders would know how to tell a betta's age and know that pet store bettas are considered too old to breed.

#9 ·
Tadaa11. No one wants petstore bred betta's especially someone who knows nothing about breeding. I suggest you read up on breeding before you attempt it

#10 ·
Okay, what exactly has given you the impression that I know nothing about breeding? I didn't come to this forum to be attacked. I came here to learn what I could from experienced people. Now I see you are a bunch of very unfriendly, accusating people. So, I'll be taking my leave now.

#13 ·
I have known people like this from my mouse forum and all I can say is they make me horibly sad in assuming animals are toys that can breed on their command. In the end the animals always suffer and many lives are lost. It's horribly sad and I feel bad for the animals who end up in their care because they are the only ones who suffer.

#16 ·
And no I'm not a breeder, I haven't done extensive research on breeding. I've picked up some info from the responsible breeders here but I still need to learn more about genetics, form and supplies.
But I'm not going to breed anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.