Betta Fish Forum banner

Ways to improve tank?

864 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bettaboo 
#1 ·
I'm a freshman in college and I just got a female betta fish yesterday to keep me company. I had no idea what to buy so I bought a small-ish tank, I've looked all over the box and I can't find how big it is exactly. She seems to be doing ok but I was just wondering if there were any inexpensive ways that I could improve her tank? I can't really spend a lot of money on a bigger tank or filters or anything, but I want to make sure she's happy.

#2 ·
At least 2 gallons is recommended. A mini heater is important if the room temp is low (you want the water to be around 78-80 degrees F), but the smallest tank they can go in are 2-2.5 gallon tanks.
Plants that won't tear the Betta's fins and a hiding place are great. Also, remember to have a breathable lid on the tank because they are jumpers!

#3 ·
get some fake plants that have leaves that are rounded and wont tear at the fishes delicate fins. better yet, get some that have fabric leaves, they are much gentler on the betta., and if you want to save money on plastic caves for your betta, get a clay flowerpot, and rinse it really well. and put it on its side in the tank, your betta will love a little place to hang around in. the pots are much cheaper than the petstores caves, and the smooth sides are gentle on the bettas tail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.