Betta Fish Forum banner

He ate my ghost shrimp!!

22K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
After having my newest betta Zuko sharing a 10g wuth fice ghost shrimp he has decided to eat them all in two days. I fasted him but am unsure if I should get him anymote tank matws... Maybe something bigger... Idk. The whole sitiation is sad and funny at tge same te...

Sorry about any typos im on my dumb smart phone

#3 ·
Some bettas eat them. There's nothing you can do about it. More cover might help, but probably not in the long run. You might try a snail. They have protection so your betta can't eat them.

#12 · (Edited)
Luck of the draw is perhaps your Betta, I try to keep my Betta fed, found 8 or more pellets and he doesn't eat much the next morning, my ritual is 3 in the morning and 1 to 3 max in evening works great, so far my two Ghost Shrimp made it the first week. Perhaps a fed Betta is best, try to avoid fasting ! Betta will overfeed if you let, likely very reason some fast them. Hungry and Look out Shrimp. Good news Shrimp are only 33 cents.
Meanwhile checking to see if my Shrimp survived another day

My Shrimp on Marimo moss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOt2qFSxhqI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#13 ·
Try moe dense cover. Both bettas and shirmp love it :) What you could try doing is sticking with snails like mystery or apple, as they are bigger than nerites. i've noticed most of my bettas (asides from the top aggressors labelled as the "nothing with them" fish) didn't mind having one of those.

#15 ·
Yeah, I've attempted to keep a total of 3 bettas with ghost shrimp and so far 2 of the bettas went psycho killer on me. Can't blame 'em; it's just instinct. :/

The first betta acted aggressive immediately and killed them overnight. This was years ago though, and I didn't have very much in the way of small nooks & crannies in his tank for the shrimp to hide. The second was in a community tank and left them alone, but it was a much taller tank and the betta rarely went that close to the bottom anyway. Most recently I had a betta with ghost shrimp & tons of small places for the shrimp to hide in that the betta couldn't fit through, but after about a week he started killing them...le sigh.

I adore ghost shrimp though, so I have a separate invert tank now. I'm mad jealous of the people who have bettas that leave their shrimp alone!

#17 ·
I saw in the store, a betta with ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp. ALL ghost shrimp were dead, with the distinguishable bit emarks :lol: the cherry shrimp were staring down the betta, and vice versa... then they'd drift away from him when he went for them ><

#18 ·
My girl Kei leaves them alone. What is funny her name means Lucky in Japanese. Even when they swim up to her. I think 2 of 3 died but she didn't kill them as they probably caused more harm to her then she has to them if thats possible lol.

#22 ·
I had 5 ghost shrimp for awhile and they all had plenty of cover, but they all met their demise eventually. Well 3 of them were snacks for bettas and 2 of them died because I put some shells in their tank that may have messed with the water chemistry (best i can figure). I don't plan on getting any more shrimps for awhile - unless I get a whole bunch of cherries in their own tank or something (I am starting to have extra tanks so that might be a possibility). But we'll see

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.