Betta Fish Forum banner

Couple questions

957 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Brooke 
#1 ·
Currently I have one male Betta (whom I have had about a month now), and am getting ready to set up and cycle a new 10 gallon tank for him (he is currently in a 2.5 gal). I have all the required stuff - but am considering some friends for him to hang out with...

I spoke with a lady at the pet store today (I know everyone says don't listen to them, but she did seem very experienced as far as fish - has 5 tanks and quite a few Bettas). She said one of her tanks has a male and 5 females in it, and they do great, she has another male in his own tank because he is not nice :p. She said if I decided to do that (after the male had possession of the tank - to completely rearrange everything, add all the females together (at the same time) first, then add the male.

Either way - my question is, is it very rare for a male to get along with a group of females? I would like to try it, since I am now in love with Bettas, and obviously observe them closely (I don't work, so I am 90% of the time).

I also have read guppies are good tank mates - is there a good amount (are they schooling fish)? I have also noticed people say not to get fish with large fins, and I see a lot of guppies with slightly large fins - is this ok?

She also suggested the aquarium salt (as I have read in many places), and said she cuts off the foot of a pair of hose, puts the salt in and when it is gone - you know they need more, is that acceptable? I assume you would only put in the amount per gallon in the hose, but wasn't sure if it should be diluted in the water completely, or if a timed release type thing (the hose) is ok?

One more - my Dad (who has a large freshwater tank, but no Bettas) said to cycle my tank for two weeks first before I added fish - is this also the case for Bettas?

There is so much conflicting information out there, and I know a few people here have multiple Bettas - so hopefully I can get some definite answers :p.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the wall of text!

See less See more
#2 ·
I HIGHLY recommend NOT to EVER EVER house males and females together. That is just asking for trouble. Really. I've had a female completely shred a male (Spawning attempt) However, 4 females CAN be housed together. If the tank is at least 10 gallons and is heavily planted.

Yes, if you plan on cycling your tank, do a fish less cycle.

#3 ·
Whoa.. please don't talk to this lady again.. she's NUTS. Even the most experienced breeders don't usually keep male/female or male/male groupings.. and only in LARGE 75+ gallon tanks that are heavily planted.. NOT for a first timer.

Guppies aren't good tankmates.. no really brightly colored fish is..especially in a 10 gallon.. its just too small for a betta to establish a good territory.

As for the salt.. I don't know what the heck she is talking about. DON'T salt your tank unless you are treating something. Prolonged use of salt can cause liver (or it could be kidne) damage in bettas.. I can't remember which it is. Also aquarium salt does not evaporate or filter out.. so unless you do enough water changes to fully remove all the salt you don't need to add any more.

Since your betta has another tank he can be housed in I also highly recommend you do a fishless cycle. It is much easier and quicker than a fish in safe cycle.

#4 ·
I once had a female CT and a male CT. The tank had a divider in it, but they couldn't see through it since it was blue. But the water was a little to high, ( my sister put in too much water) and the male swam over it and into the females side of the tank! They were perfectley fine. They didn't try to spawn, and they ignored each other, and they didn't mind the other Betta in with them. And they could see each other since there was only 2 small plastic plants at the bottom of the tank, and the rest was water. But I do recommend not to put a male in a female in the same tank, unless you are trying to breed them, due to different behaviors. Your male may not want a female with him and a female may not like your male.
Joker Unknown Orangish with red spots on fins
Emily Crowntail Red with black fins

#5 ·
Ugh, ok well it seems something is going on with him now *sigh*. It almost looks like he is missing two scales, I tried to get a good picture of it - but he wanted to play with my finger instead (he obviously isn't FEELING badly). He is still eating well though. He did have a somewhat stressful day - Verizon came to hook up service and the back door was open for about an hour - I did wrap a towel around the bottom of the tank, and he does have a heater - although it is not really number controlled (new one for his 10g is though).

Any ideas would be great - am going to do a 100% water change right now and rinse everything really well. Am adding a pic so if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated! Sorry if it is big :(.

I will also add that he only has one plastic plant in this tank, but I trimmed all the edges so they are not sharp - otherwise there is nothing even remotely sharp in the tank. He is also the only one in there :p.

#8 ·
Well, he started acting strangely after I changed his water I posted on the sick section about it.. (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=37629) From what I have researched online since very early this morning is that it seems he may have had ammonia poisoning.

I took him out of his tank and put him back in his cup, and he is doing much better (doing the depressed about being in a cup thing, but he is responsive). The pic I posted isn't the best one of what looks to be a missing scale - there is a better one here (http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/Seornia/IMG_0635.jpg) of the one on his side. I haven't looked at it this morning since he is still in his cup and I am trying to let him relax and get better right now.

I tested the water this morning (after having done a 100% change very early this morning), and the ammonia levels are semi-bad still, which I am confused about - but I am going to test the tap water and see if there is ammonia in it. If so, I just know I have to treat it for that as well.

I do have a question about cycling the 10 gallon tank for him - I have read to use pure ammonia to get it started (I don't have access to gravel etc. from an established tank). Problem is, no one around here seems to carry it - is there something else I can do?

Thanks for all the help so far everyone! I wish there were a reputable aquarium store close to me, but no such luck - so I get to bug the heck out of you all :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.