Betta Fish Forum banner

rubber bands in fish tanks

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  callmeconfused 
#1 ·
Are rubber bands bad for fish tanks?

I'm asking because I'm setting up a new tank, and the only filter I have is one for 2-5 g. The tank is 3g, and I'm worried that my fish's tail will get caught in the intake. I was planning on putting some pantyhose over the intake, but the only way to hold it to the filter is with rubber bands. It's an electric filter, so I can't control the flow of water (you're supposed to be able to, I think, but I can't figure it out).

#3 ·
How often do you have to replace them? I wouldn't want the rubber band to snap and maybe hurt Aether.

#4 ·
Hard to say...each one is different.....maybe every month or so and sooner if they are the thin ones...I use the ones that I get on my newspapers....lol....so nothing special and I only use them to hold my homemade filter media together...also they don't seem to snap just degrade and fall apart so I wouldn't think it could cause an injury like if you used a rubber band to pop someone....

#6 ·
honestly I've heard thread works really well if youre looking for something that lasts longer...I use thread in mine (a few small strands of black) and they havent degraded yet...been a couple months

#7 ·
Nothing wrong with using rubber bands. You can always replace them when you replace your media or clean your filter. I've got a stocking around my intake that's just lodged high between the tube and the glass.

#12 ·
#9 ·
Will any old rubber bands do, or are there ones i should avoid (like maybe coloured bands)?

#13 ·
I would get a container or so and test it. You know? So you can be safe.

#17 ·
As OFL said, the rubber bands will just sort of deteriorate.... they don't really "snap" when they finally fail. They just sort of break & fall off (or just stay loosely wrapped around the pantyhose), so they wouldn't be a hazard to your fish. You'd probably just need to replace the rubberbands about once a month, so you probably wouldn't have any fail on you if you swap them regularly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.