Betta Fish Forum banner

Assassin snail, yo yo loach or kuhli loach?

15K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  diablo13 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm going to try and move into my apartment today and bring the tank with me either today or tomorrow. I was away from my tank for a month and left my sick betta in the care of my boyfriend and my tank with my brothers.

Well, my betta died and my family did NO water changes for my 14G and the little hitchhiker snails that came with the plants I bought multiplied to about 150. I came back and the tank was cycled (good, I guess?) but now I have to re-do it for when i move today.

To maintain the existing hitchhiker snail population I would like to by a snail eater such as the assassin snail, yo yo loach or kuhli loach. Now, I could only buy one or two depending on the price.

In addition I will also be buying a betta to put in the tank in about a week or so.

CURRENT TANKMATES:
  • Albino cory
  • Spotted cory
  • Green mystery snail
  • Son of green mystery snail (about same size)
FUTURE TANKMATES:
  • Betta
  • Snail eater
I'm also going to invest in buying many more live plants and maybe some driftwood for the tank this week as well. The substrate is gravel and I'd like to keep it that way for a while.

Any suggestions?

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Assassin snail, 100%. Great with fish, small bioload and they kill other snails perfectly. Fish do good jobs but only for a short time. Trust me... get Assassins.

I'd personally set up a small tank for your mystery snails and move them out until your pest snails are gone. Assassins are easy to find new homes for.

I gag at the thought of squishing snails and pulling them out to feed.. yuck yuck yuck! I also see snails as living creatures too o_O Some are just colder than me! I have a tank full of Malaysian Trumpets, I don't mind at all.

#12 ·
Mystery or Apple Snails are good. I have Malaysian Trumpets because I need them to dig in the sand. I also have Pond Snails, they got in on a plant, my first snail. I also have a Ramshorn snail with Nixon.

I'd love to have Assassins but they don't sell them here.

#17 ·
So you're new puppy comes home with fleas, do you remove them one by one or do you get flea treatment from your vet?

I have a few assassin snails in my tank... they will kill the other snails... Circle of life, its no different than feeding bloodworms to your bettas, or you eating a burger... You also dont have to do anything yourself.

You also don't have to rehome them... they will clean up any fish food if you over feed a tad. Any new plants you add that have snails will be cleaned up by them. low bioload means your filter wont even notice they are there.
She has mystery snails she'd like to keep :) That's the only reason I suggest re-homing them. Or if she has two tanks, she could keep them separate.

#15 · (Edited)
Khuli loaches dont kill or eat snails so I wouldn't consider them as "snail assasins". They do clean up your substrate nicely, but as snail control they are useless. I love khulis, Ill definately be picking up 3 for my tank soon. Much more active at night in most cases. Ive always had a few in my tanks since I was a kid.

#16 ·
I have a few assassin snails in my tank... they will kill the other snails... Circle of life, its no different than feeding bloodworms to your bettas, or you eating a burger... You also dont have to do anything yourself.

You also don't have to rehome them... they will clean up any fish food if you over feed a tad. Any new plants you add that have snails will be cleaned up by them. low bioload means your filter wont even notice they are there.

#24 ·
I believe Apple Snails are too big for a 2.5g tank unless that's all you're going to have in there. If you have a Betta, then no you won't fit a snail in that sized tank :) I think Apple/Mystery snails are the only snail people really want, the others are pest snails.

#25 ·
How did this turn into a conversation/argument/debate about snails? Anyhooo, Diablo, the book is Tropical Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Species by PocketExpert Guides.

And I still think it's easier to just put out the leaf of lettuce, gather the buggers and squish 'em. Snails are living creatures but, uhm, so are ants and I'm pretty sure most of us have killed an ant or 500 in our time.

Also, they gang up on Mystery snails to take them down? o_O I never knew snails could be vicious.

#27 ·
If you can find someone who will buy a pond snail, I salute you. It means you're a great salesperson. I mean, yeah, I feel bad too. When I do have to squish a snail, I make sure to do it fast and hard so it dies instantly and doesn't suffer. I gave one to my dad last night to squish because it was bigger than I was comfortable squishing and what does he do? Puts it outdoors. I'm not so sure aquatic snails live well on the ground.

#28 ·
Anyone who has Dwarf puffers would want pond snails! They love em. I keep a pond snail population in all my tanks for my puffer. But the bettas eat them too.

Logan sucks them right out of their shells, so you might get a betta who eats em. Logan, Wraith and Tango have all been caught eating pond snails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.