Betta Fish Forum banner

Please Help.... Bump on Princess

1K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  bettalover2000 
#1 ·
Okay, Yesterday I noticed a bump on my fish's side. Here are Pictures.

Housing

What size is your tank? About 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78-79*F
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Bio-gold & Aqueon pellets in the morn. Omega 1 Betta buffet & Tetracolor flakes in the eve. Occasional freeze-dried bloodwrm.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Morn. 2 hikari & 3 aqueon. Eve. 2 omega & a pinch of flakes.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Try to do it every week or more, but have kind of been slipping lately :/
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat, & occasional pinch of AQ salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She has a bump on her side.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? N/A, still swimming well, eating eagerly as always, etc.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? In yesterday's WC, I put 1 tsp. Epsom salt (I think I heard it can help with constipation)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? She had popeye once, a while back
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had her about a year.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not seeing any pictures, so I can't really say what could be wrong.
Has she had any trouble swimming at all?

#5 ·
Sorry for the delay.
I'm not entirely sure what the problem could be. It may be a problem with the swim bladder, and I'm led to that conclusion because it seems you may be over-feeding. I wouldn't feed her anymore than 3-4 pellets a day.
Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be. There was another user whose betta had a similar problem.
It may be a benign tumor even. What is her poo like? Is she pooing regularly?

#6 ·
Yeah, she is pooping healthy, brown clumps. What I feed her is 2 larger pellets & 3 small ones, I really don't think I'm overfeeding. 3-4 pellets per day seems like too little. Does the evening feeding sound like about the right amount? As said, she is acting perfectly normal, so I don't think it is life-threatening ATM. Is there any way I should be treating her now?

#7 ·
It depends on the size of the pellet. A rule of thumb that I usually hear is to only feed them about the size of their eyeball in a meal.
If she's pooping fine and acting fine, it may not be something to worry about right now. I would say to keep doing the Epsom salt treatments and just keep an eye on her :)

#8 ·
Yeah, I usually fast/feed light on Sunday. Her eyes are big lol (not pop-eye), but the small pellets are a little bit bigger than this, . and the other ones are a bit bigger. Thanks!

#9 ·
Hhhhheeeeeellllpppp!!!!

Ok, I have'nt been able to do WC on a regular basis, did one today, Her bump has swelled considerably! Please help! I stopped the Epsom salt because I can't give it for too long, Changed her to a 3 gallon with an air pump, hoping it helps, may start Epsom again soon. I think it might be SBD, She is pooping right, I'm feeding her less, and she is active and playful as always. My internet is acting up so I can't post pics yet. I really need help!!!!:cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.