Betta Fish Forum banner

any advice for a new Betta owner?

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  JKfish 
#1 ·
I'm a new betta owner. I have 2 beautiful male betta, Sabammi and Tryan (named after 4 of my friends names mixed together). I fell in love with them the day I got them, and I want to make sure that they have a decent life span. I bought them at a Wal*Mart, gave them a tank that seperates them and wont let them see each other unless I make it so by lifting up a pannel, and I have fish food for them. I feed them 4 or 5 pieces once a day. I clean their tank every 2-3 days depending on how dirty it gets. I'm worried for if they get sick or something though. Please give any and all advice you can so I can give my boys the best life span possible!:-D

Thanks so much!

bettagirl1993

#2 ·
Wow I'm very happy for you! I love new betta owners who are ecstatic about their fish!

Healthy Betta Diseases/Cures: http://www.healthybetta.com/fish-illness-and-cure-information

The main key with bettas is making sure you have a heated, filtered tank, test strips (unless you can afford the 30$ kit) and adequate room for them to live. (2-3 gallons each is best for them).

You probably didn't have your tank go through a 4-6 week cycle, so when you clean it you'll want to do full water changes based on when your ammonia levels get high which is what the test strips or ammonia kit is for. (their poop and pee creates ammonia)

My guess is your tank is divided?

#3 ·
I think I know the tank you're talking about, it's a little tiny thing that's only .5 gallons and so each fish has .25 gallons a piece. I had that tank at first as well. I'm glad you're eager to learn and take care of them, because the first thing you need to do is UPGRADE THAT TANK!! It's waaaay too tiny for 1 fish, let alone 2!! With a tank that small you'd have to change it every day and even then it's not enough. I'd recommend buying a 5 gallon tank and dividing it, or two 2.5 gallon tanks. That would be perfect.
*Also, cycling your tank is a great idea but if it's any smaller than a 5 gallon there's no point. If you don't cycle your tank you need to change it fairly often. A 2.5 needs to have a full water change about twice a week (more is better) and I'd say a 5 gallon maybe twice a week as well but not a full water change, just partial. If you have a 5g or larger I'd recommend cycling strongly though.
*A heater is a must, bettas need to be at about 78-70*F. You really don't need to keep them in anything smaller than 2 gallons because you can't heat that small of a tank and it'll fry them.
*If you have less than a 5g you don't really need a filter because you'll be doing full water changes but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Hopefully my ramblings helped!! Welcome to the addiction!!

#5 · (Edited)
I'd say go on the sites betta care sheet, it helped me when I first got Akrin and Zora (may her soul rest in peace :cry:)

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum :)

I think everyone else hit the nail on the head about what to do! :)

#8 ·
Nochoramet hit it on the nail pretty much.

You need:
5 gallon tank (at least).. or two 2.5 gallons. Personally I would go with a 10 gallon divided.
heater.. adjustable is best
filter (read up on cycling)
test kit.. DON'T get the strips.. they're a total waste of money and not accurate at all.
a good water dechlorinator (I recommend Prime)

#9 ·
You can order API Master Test kits from walmart online for only 17 or so dollars (which is half of what petsmart sells it for) and it'll be shipped free to your store, or from Sears for about 25 dollars :) also, Walmart sells 5 gallon kits for about 30 dollar, which is alot cheaper than any petstore tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.