Betta Fish Forum banner

Way understocked

3K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·

So yeah. I don't really want to add much as I like not having to do too many water changes but I do have an additional filter for this tank I can add on to keep up. But I was wondering what my options are.

I'm not even sure I want to add any fish really, I do like that the betta has lots of space to enjoy. But do you guys think he'd like more fish in the tank? Is it even necessary?

I'm looking for opinions on what you would do. I really love not having to change water in the tank often just because I have a 55 that needs weekly changes of about 30%.

Basically, do I need to add more fish for the sake of keeping the betta entertained or do you think he's better off how he is now and just leave this tank be? When this betta does pass on I will do a split tank but for now I'm gonna spoil him as I've only just returned to betta care and I don't want to get in over my head. After all, he's only been here two weeks.

I think it's still a bit too open in the middle area but he seems to enjoy it for now. I'll probably get another small silk plant or two to help fill it out.

There's some kind of plant in the filter also :X Came with my "aquatic" package, harhar. So I stuck one of them in this filter and two in the 55g filter.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have heard adding tankmates can increase lifespan. I would go with Neons. But Understocking is always good except if its improperly stocked.

#14 ·
Hmm cories would be good. They are so much entertainment, and they don't bother your betta as they are bottom feeders and bettas stay at the top or middle. Also you could add some shrimp. I have a few ghosties in my sorority tank and once my girls got used to them (like 2 days) they stopped noticing them and both go on their way without a worry in the world.
If your tank is established you could also add some oto's they are pretty peaceful and don't bother the betta's either.
I've been dreaming off adding ADF's to my tank, but I'm already at stocking level in all my tanks.

#16 ·
Now this is the thing I'm wondering about. Because it is under stocked I'm concerned that there isn't enough ammonia to make it cycle but I did use an old filter (it was being used last literally five minutes before it got onto this tank) with new media but an old sponge thing that was covered in yummy BB from my goldies. So I guess it's sort of cycled? When I checked the levels I had 0 ammonia and nitrites and 10-20ppm nitrates.

#19 ·
Depends on the species. The ones I use I dont have to remove anything. I am planning on tring an Arrowhead which what I am pretty sure you have.

#20 ·
Corydoras are nice and I have success keeping 4 with my male betta in a planted 10 gallon. They are extremely docile and just mind their own business roaming the bottom of the tank. They will sometimes go up to the surface and take a breath like bettas do. They also have really cool eyes and can "blink" by rotating them into their sockets to remove debris...I seem them do this all the time its weird looking lol.

#22 ·
Dwarf cories have the smallest bioload. But you could get away with practically any of the common species, just make sure they are all the same. I have both albino and peppered and they will never school together.

#24 ·
You could definitely get those. I always thought they were creepy in a cute way, but they are cheaper so I bought them hoping to make a bigger school for my peppered, was a huge fail, now I have 2 schools of 3 instead of 1 school of 6 lol

#25 ·
:lol: Fishies love to be difficult.

I'm thinking I'll need more small silk plants and some hiding places then. The gravel is sort of already good for the albinos I think. It's the same stuff I use in my 55 and the albino pleco got a lot less shy when I put it in there.

#26 ·
Cories prefer sand because they like to dig, but as long as the gravel isn't too rough and big it'll be fine, all mine are on gravel at the moment too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.