Betta Fish Forum banner

Full Of Eggs??, acting sick...Help

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MoonShadow 
#1 ·
In another post I asked if my fish had Fin/Tail rot. No one thinks they look like they do from the pictures. But yesterday my Cory Cat Tyler died and had shredded fins. But the other 3 Corys don't.

Today Lacey my orange Female Betta just sits on the bottom of the tank not wanting to eat. I was told she was full of eggs...But she is acting sick and sluggish sitting there in the gravel on the bottom of the tank. She is not hiding though, she is right out in the open. The other fish are leaving her alone.

Why would she act like that? Is it bad for Female Bettas to be full of eggs too long? Or is she sick like I thought before? What should I do? I'd hate to see another of my fish die and not be able to do anything to help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Where her tail is missing is it darker in color (blackish/reddish)? If its normal color and just missing then she doesn't have fin rot.

can you please fill this out?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

#3 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 30 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 9 other Female Bettas, 3 Cory Catfish & 2 Nerite Snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen, Freeze Dried Tubiflex Worms, Pelllets, & Flakes (Ocasionally now) One different kind every day.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day at 10:00 AM

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week on Saturday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% to 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat & API Stress Zyme

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Zero
Nitrite: Zero
Nitrate: 40
pH: 9.0
Hardness: Very Hard
Alkalinity: Very Alkaline hard water

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Looks like a bloated belly (Eggs?) Whiteish tips to frayed fins. Lighter colored than usual.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Today laying on bottom of tank still. Slow to come up to eat and not eating very much.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Few Days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treatment
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 7 months to 8 months old? I'm not sure, but under 1 year old.

#4 ·
Hmm, odd! She does look full of eggs to me as opposed to bloated from food. I've had both situations happen to me in the past two weeks, and there's a big difference between them in appearance.

I think that your girl being full of eggs has nothing to do with her lethargic behavior and may just be a coincidence. There is nothing bad about her being full of eggs, she will either release them (and you may never see them, she or the other girls will probably eat them all right away) or her body will re-absorb them.

Since she is showing signs of stress and sickness, I would remove her from the community tank for observation. If she gets sicker this will enable you to treat her right away and she won't risk getting any of your other fish ill.

#5 ·
There is a thing called egg bound, which is the girl gets eggs and can't release or absorb them. Eventually they explode from the pressure in their belly and then you've got an issue. +1 I would isolate and monitor closely. The whitish tips on her fins may be a fungal infection. If it is at all fuzzy looking I would start a fungal cure right away.

#6 ·
There is a thing called egg bound, which is the girl gets eggs and can't release or absorb them. Eventually they explode from the pressure in their belly and then you've got an issue. +1 I would isolate and monitor closely. The whitish tips on her fins may be a fungal infection. If it is at all fuzzy looking I would start a fungal cure right away.
Explode?!?! :shock: I had a Cockatiel die from being egg bound :cry: So I know that can be serious. My Betta "Star" has white tips on her fins too, and fins that just have the flesh gone from between the rays of her tail. It is too neat to be betta bites otherwise the rays would be gone too right? She is a Spade tail But she is looking like a Crown Tail now. That is why I thought some sort of Bacterial rot was going on with all my fish including Star. See the white tips on her also (Red & Blue colored Betta)? They were never there before and she never had little spiky fins like that till recently...What do you think Ivendert ?

#7 ·
yes unfortunately they can, its rare but possible. Bettas can bite between rays, their tricky sometimes, but it could also be tears from something in the tank. I do see the white tips, they kinda look like the start of a fungal infection. I would watch that for a few days, if it gets worse of bigger than yeah fungal infection but if it also might just be fin growth. If it get to the point where it looks like little white balls on the tips on her fins then yeah thats also fin rot. I'm not there and in this case I can't definitively say "that is this" so I would def qt and moniter closely for signs of change

#8 ·
Do you notice your other girls picking on her?? Possibly she is getting bullied? Her tail sure looks like someones going after her and the stress from that could cause her to not move around much!

#10 ·
This really has nothing to do with it but aren't the nitrates kind of high? I always heard to try to keep it at 20 ppm or less.

#11 ·
My Bettas are starting to get holes the size of pin heads to the size of pencil lead! They are in the middle of some Betta's fins and some are closer to the body on the tail. Not sure what is going on now....things just seem to be getting worse for their poor fins!

#12 ·
The pin holes definitely sound like they're blowing their fins which is usually caused by too much flaring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.