Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Diaries

58K views 955 replies 19 participants last post by  Syriiven 
#1 ·
2.5 Gallon + T-Rex = Phycondrias' abode and well protected home.
3 Gallon Halfmoon Tank + Lots of Leaves! = Demi Walker, the tough and elegant.

Hi~ I find that I have a habit of talking about my betta. All the time. To Anyone who'll listen. >.< So I figured maybe it would be a good idea to start a journal here and keep a log of my water changes and such - since soon I'll have 3 betta and should keep track of things.

I've had Phy since July, and Demi is a recent and unexpected rescue. I've had a CT betta before called Kouriin, and though he lived for three years, after being here for a month I've realised I could have done much, much more for him.

R.I.P. Kouriin :(

Since coming here and getting lots of help and trying to help where I can, I find my bettas lives are much better now. So a huuuge thanks to everyone who's helped me on this site!

It's also nice to not feel alone in my slight obsession with the little ones, since that's something I feel on a daily basis around almost everyone else outside of this forum.

Anyways - this is about the bettas, not me :)

Not a big post today, but Phy is due for one more day of AQ Salt and then he gets to have his tank back to normal. I haven't seen any serious regrowth since he's been on the AQ Salt, but at least I feel he hasn't gotten any infections from his latest tail-biting episode. I think I'll put back in the safe plastic plants I have for him and the big orangey leaves and his t-rex skull. And going to put panty hose on the filter and see if it's a culprit at all, though I doubt it.

I hope with less on the surface he'll keep trying to make these bubblenests, I feel they're a good sign for him. But I also know they haven't started showing until I put him in the AQ Salt next to Demi's tank...>.>

Demi will get her first 25% water change in her new home tomorrow after I'm done setting up the shelf for her whisper filter. I'll do her before I do Phy since the tanks will be switching places, Demi up and Phy down. Hee~ Demi's been making use of her betta hammock I made, and for that I'm glad. Took her no time at all to give it and the leaves out and now she has her favourite spots to sit and rest. Still can't get a clear photo of her 100%.

And I think that's all for today. ^^

See less See more
#440 ·
I think we all wish we could just talk to our fish, to comfort and council them, I have a few things I need to say to Peanut about breeding lol.
So sorry it must be so hard to watch your fish deteriorate over time...

#442 ·
Seiya...

This morning I got up and went to check on Seiya...he was on his side and even when I was standing over him, didn't get excited and wave his pectorals, or try to right himself...he just looked at me....it was time to euthanize...and now he's gone. I'm sorry my little prince...

#445 ·
-hugs- Thank you...

I just wish I knew what made them sick in the first place. The only thing the two shared were food and clean water. I'm guessing maybe I did just run out of luck and had a bad pack of worms and should be thankful no one else got sick.

#449 ·
We had a talk about this at the fish store yesterday. Puffer breeder, store owner, discuss breeder and myself. Bettas not the only ones that have been effected. No problems reported with SFBB Freshwater Frenzy, lord how young bettas love this product or other frozens. However there are many reports of parasite issues with the bloodworms. Not all batches or all cubes within a package even, but every once in awhile a problem is getting through the system. I have no scientific proof but lots and lots of hearsay from other aquarists.

#448 ·
Thank you...and I'm not too worried. I'd rather them get here healthy than rush the process and have Simi get sick or something. Also, I'll prlly have you send the package to Curtis' mom's house - I'll double check with her, but then I wont get in trouble at work, and she'll know to be careful with the package.

#451 ·
I am sorry for both of your losses :( I wish we could at least figure out a possible cause.

I know that Sakura told me common causes for dropsy are kidney failure and those parasites I forget the name of. If it was parasites, the general cure should have helped and I assume that frozen/freeze dried foods would be most likely the cause. I also know that there are several things that could cause kidney failure, and I do think that genetics play a part in there susceptibility to dropsy.

I was reading an article somewhere on those parasites that said something about metro actually causing harm to the kidneys, especially if used long-term. I wonder if Sakura8 would be willing to look more into that because I'm not exactly a science expert. The article said that Epsom salt is a better option but I guess the problem with that is it doesn't cure dropsy alone.

The bacterial infection that causes dropsy is always present, and some fall prey to it easier than others. There's usually something that would have to compromise the immune system for that to happen. Amaterasu may have been stressed due to the sorority environment but it still doesn't explain Seiya. :/

I know you take great care of them so I don't think it had anything to do with water quality issues. I guess when Okami developed dropsy, I was unaware for a few hours about that power outage we had. I could tell her behavior was off immediately, though. The lethargy started before the pineconing. I guess that just makes me lucky to know the cause of her dropsy, and I was lucky that no one else fell I'll because of the temp fluctuation.

If only they could talk :(

#452 ·
That really would help if they could. Or you know, do bubble signs. Something.

Amaterasu...honestly, she was big. Not that that's abnormal for LG's spawn,a s it has giant genes in it. But she was very eggy too. And yes, sorority life can be a bit more stressful than tank life. But again, no other girls are having issues.

Seiya...-sigh- He was the proudest damn betta I've ever seen. He had a routine of staring at curtis, till Curtis turned to look at him, flare and swim away and patrol his tank. A wonderful war dance, he was very confident in himself. It showed in everything he did. And his colors! I dont approve of dark teal with bright, vibrant red, but that's my personal choice and I didn't love him less for it. Kind of like mom's dont hate their sons for getting a mohawk and piercing (though I'm cool with mohawks and piercings, just picky about colors). Seiya's the mystery, but has has had slight fin melt in the past, as well as ick right before a serious pH problem about a month or two ago. So maybe something happened and lingered, despite proper and clean water params since I fixed all that.

#453 ·
:( hmph. I don't suppose you used any meds that couldn't been harmful to his kidneys? It just doesn't make any sense... I'm glad that everyone else is doing okay.

By the way, I saw your thread on those tribal drawings you did and thought they were neat! I've been kind of wanting to get a tattoo sort of like that of the pisces symbol but with betta fish... Well, anyways, I have no idea where I'd put it yet :p

#454 ·
I'd be happy to design something for free, just for basis, though I've seen other people's tribal betta art's on DeviantArt that are waaay better than mine xD

You could put it anywhere, but since you live in the States I'd suggest a spot that's easily coverable by shirt and shorts at least. Apparently there's some folks who dont hire down there if you've got ink or metal in you xP Cuz they're lame and judgemental., or just old fashioned.

And no, when they had Ick I only used 86F water and aq salt, and anytime his fins got torn I'd do a water change and added stress coat. So until the few hours of maracyn 2, he never had any strong or bad meds. Mostly conservative stuff.

#455 ·
What a mystery :/

Yeah, there's a lot of places that make a big deal about piercings and tattoos. Most of the fast food places I've seen say no tattoos but they don't really care, but they do make you remove piercings or put in a clear one. I'd imagine that any job where you don't really work with clients or customers (like my dad, he works in a giant freezer loading and unloading frozen stuff out of trucks) wouldn't care but pretty much everyone else does.

I'm getting a degree in photography and for that particular job, I don't think it would be a big deal since I likely won't have a boss and I won't be photographing myself :p

#456 ·
That should be fine then xD

I think it's kind of dumb of people to make you hide tattoos and piercings. I totally understand if the design is offensive, but if it's something beautiful or personal? Something that 's special?

Honestly, a piece of work you get inked onto your body should be important enough to you to be there, and therefor shouldnt be covered up to make other people happy, imho. Having tattoos or multiple piercings doesnt make you a criminal or gangster, doesnt mean you're a delinquent or bad for business - some of the most awsm people and workers I know have multiple tats and piercings.

I work at Walmart, so~ they'd prefer offensive tattoos covered, by I have a realistic skull on my shoulder and I've recieved a lot of compliments from customers who catch me on the floor. And I've never once been asked to cover my stuff.

#457 ·
Despite Seiya and AmAterasu...fishy life goes on. I'm happy to see Eranikus re-building his bubblenest after his water change today. I even managed to cxatch him on film;

Something I've noticed with all my males...you can't get up close and personal when they're building. Mine will not build if they know I'm watching. Like it's some secret -rolls eyes-. Thus the video quality isn't spectacular because I had to veeerry slowly pick up my camera and film from faaar away after zooming in a bunch. >>

#458 ·
Also, Acheron and Styxx get upgrades.

Though Acheron doesnt move tanks well at all, I noticed this the first time I got him home, long acclimation or not. So I'll keep an eye on him throughout the day and make sure he gets comfy. I have the nightlite on instead of the daylight so he's not as stressed.

I'm running out of decorations, so Styxx will have something else added to his tank after my trip to the city in a week.

And as LG will notice, Styxx has gone from all white back to developing his blue rays and spots as well as a blur of red on his head. The change back to color is taking longer than when he lost it though.

#459 ·
Bweh...

Everyone's healthy for the moment (and for 20 fish that's really, really good), so I'm watching the new River Monsters episode and wondering if I'll get contacted back from my transhipper or the seller...
I dont want to pester them about things, especially since I'm new to the AB deal, but srsly, I'd really like confirmation this is happening. Too late to say not to get my hopes up >.< First mistake, oi!

#461 ·
River Monsters is my go-to show for shutting my brain off. PLus it's fascinating! I was so sad when season four ended in marathon episodes instead of new fish, so was soo excited for the season 5 premier!

I will definitely let you guys know when I know, lol. I'll be bouncing off the walls xD

#462 ·
Hey glad you fish are doing good. Ach is such gorgeous fish. Its nice to see some color coming back on a few of the marbles out there! I watch Survivor and amazing race and have come to hate cooking contest shows except ramsay lol. Its ok gives me fish time when the cooking network is on. I like Duck dynasty too cuz im a bit of an old ******* and the uncle is funny. Yeah communication was just the same for me with transhippers and thai breeders. My only advise is to be patient, bug them in a week if you havnt heard back it does take some time for them to organize shipments and get back to people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.