Betta Fish Forum banner

Any Canadian breeders?

5K views 96 replies 14 participants last post by  Mahsfish 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.
I live in Canada and I really wanna buy a betta online!
I wanna try & save on shipping so I'm looking for breeders in Canada .
Does anyone know any?!?!

#72 ·
These were from Bettafx.
Sena ordered a pair of red ones. All four fish arrived dead although they had excellent packaging and two heat packs.
They were so gorgeous I was so excited, proven breeders of amazing offspring.

#76 ·
I think everyone's concern is that seeing the word 'fighter' tends to make people think of people gambling on bettas fighting to the death. I dont think anyone meant any offense, and you're right, it definitely should've been researched more by us.

Thank you for coming out and letting us know your side of the story.

#77 ·
Respect to all they are called fighting strains there's no 'blanketing' that term. in some places they call bettas fighting fish. I say fighter but doesn't mean I like to fight them to the death? They are what they are and I choose to embrace the word 'fighter' I'm not going to beat behind a bush and hide that word. so thank you for your response i really appreciate that. I'm trying to promote people to have an opened mind. Face it, bettas in nature spar for a mate. love to all and give chances to these fish they haven't harmed the hobby or nature itself but sustain it.

pretty sad (offensive) to have others encouraging others not to support me just because I breed fighters. Know me as a person before spreading rumours. :)

#78 ·
What rumour was not true? You breed them and spar them... that was the rumour right? You just don't fight to the death, I guess that is the difference. Most dog fights end before death. the owner usually white flags when one dog loses the will to fight. I don't see a whole lotta moral difference here. You are free to do whatever you like its none of my business or concern.

#79 ·
Okay IMO he is not doing anything wrong. It is not like he is killing these fish. Fighters are stronger then our typical show betta it would be nice if we could be able to e corporate these genes into most fish to make them stronger over all. With BettaFx learning about this your pretty expensive imports might not suddenly die. Please you guys who are big haters right now research before opening your mouths, get out of your hard head, and think of this another way.
The sneak peak I got of the fish he will be working with are amazing! Believe me, some truly gorgeous fish.

#81 ·
CJ I don't think of you as a hater. I did not see your post before I posted mine.
It is your opinion and quite frankly I don't care what you think (on this subject anyways it is your opinion. but other things you are far more knowledgable then me)
But will tell you this just because you don't agree with something does not mean I won't agree with it too. You might never buy from Bettafx but that will not stop me from.
He has some amazing fish that might soon be available.

#83 ·
thank you for your support much love to you both who don't support my practices regarding fighter breeding or culling my fish I do what I can to keep this hobby progressing and running.

Fact: I don't fight my fish anymore, I was accustomed to this culture at a young age as part of Asia to be normal to them . As for my dad I raise them and for other friends to see but fights are never my thing I just breed them sell them or give them to friends and that's about it and if they have an attitude of a fighter flaring typically and biting the glass then that's great I am able to replicate that. And if they are sloppy and lazy I choose not to sell them.

it's all good everyone to their opinions. I have said what I had to say to this community out of honesty and respect.

#85 ·
Thing is, people have differing opinions on what comes across as abuse and what doesnt. Outsiders looking in see something very different than a culture that's lived with it traditionally. Same with 'breeding responsibly' many breeders will value different things, and thus will have differing opinions on what comes across as responsible and not.

So as a reminder...these are opinions being stated. Not a debate. It's a terribly sensitive subject.

#86 ·
What I can do for you guys is to tell you what is a wrong turn genetically breeding bad fish.

yep for sure. :) that's why i respect both sides and not bother arguing or hating causing drama. but if anyone has anything bad to say about me ask me for facts before stating them yourself.

#87 ·
Honestly, I'm quite happy not breeding. I love giving them comfortable homes to live out their lives in, but I don't think I'd have the patience or time or space or money to get into breeding. I've got other hobbies that fill up my plate after work.

But I respect the hard work that goes into it, and marvel at the folks who do it.

#94 ·
Ok, Mah. I will explain. You bred a traditional (two ray) plakat with a halfmoon. This will give you roundtail or veiltail (long fin, two ray) fry. To get hmpk, as it is a recessive gene, you have to either breed back to the father or do a sibling cross. Breeding one of your long finned bettas to another long finned betta won't give you any short tail fry, even though one parent carries the gene.

You have to understand the genetics to get it. Confusing stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.