Betta Fish Forum banner

New species belonging to the Splenden complex group

7K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Wild Bettas Lovers Club 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys today i just want to share a newly discovered wild type belonging to the splenden complex group to you guys. Some of you might know already some might not. This type is found in Eastern Thailand near Chonburi, Kabinburi and a few smaller town near there. When first found researchers say it was a wild hybrid of imbellis and splenden but they checked again because imbellis is not found in Thailand so many DNA test had been done and they found out that the wild fish they had found was not a hybrid of splendens and imbellis but a new speices. My thai friend (one of the researchers) told me that him and his friends(team) had killed hundreds of this wild type just to determined if this is a new species or not. Now i know many of you might say that its really cruel but it still had to be done and good thing its not you whos doing all the killing(hahahaha). The Scientific name for this betta is Siamorientalis. Many of my thai friends or the locals there call it Kabinburi and black imbellis. Why those names? Because the very first one was found in Kabinburi as for the name black imbellis, because this betta has everything that a imbellis has except for the emerald gill cover head on an imbellis instead it has an all black head so thats why locals call it black imbellis

Hope you guys enjoyed read this and learning of a new species to the splenden group sorry if some parts dont make sense to you guys without commas and quotations hahahaa but yea

See less See more
#3 ·
Im currently getting one of this type sent to me next week and im looking for more. I've asked a few of my thai friemds to catch me some when i get then i will post on here. This type is still rare and hard to get it took me about a month just get find one

#11 ·
I am now wondering whether Malaysian sellers on AB can ship to Thailand so I can get some different species of wilds once I get employed again. Pibk has some really nice splendens complex fish and I think that would be the only way for me to get them into the country.

Sounds like your pair are going to be pretty spoiled. You must be one of the first/the first hobbyist in America to get their hands on them.

#17 ·
Only problem I could possibly see is if your females got in together. I'm not sure how close they are in appearance to each other. Other than that I am assuming you could. I have divided my wild betta tanks before.

I forgot to put you may need more than 5 gallons per pair depending on the aggression levels of the individual fish. Some of my wilds are especially nasty.

#20 ·
Yeah it sucks many fish had to die in order to get the information but now that we know we can breed them which means even if they are endangered they likely won't be for long so long as people who breed pure strains of wilds are around. All the more reason to get a pair and breed them. If they are endangered then you can breed to bring numbers up and give spawn to others who wish to breed these fish and share genes and keep them alive and well for many more generations to come. I mean they do it with just about every endangered species on earth. Breed them in zoos because wild animals may not always get the wild they were born in. With lands of all sorts being plowed under to support farming industries we are losing many species on this earth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.