Betta Fish Forum banner

Help!

935 views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
I just got a new fish on Saturday the 23rd.I've had a goldfish before but this is really new! How do I take care of it? I transferred it into as big bowl with different water and I don't have a bag to put it in so it can get used to the water so I put a Ziploc bag with the old water and the fish in and left the bag open. Is this okay?? I want my fish to live!!

#3 ·
In future, it is always a good idea to do research *before* you purchase, so that you are prepared. :)

The basics:
Bettas need a tank larger than one gallon, preferably more than 2 gallons (bigger is easier to care for). It is a myth that they don't enjoy larger tanks.
They are tropical fish and need temperatures between 78 and 82F to really thrive, and keeping the temperature stable is extremely important (fluctuating temperatures are dangerous). You'll need a heater.
Bettas can jump, so make sure your tank has a lid.
A good water conditioner is vital to remove chlorine, chlorines and heavy metals from tap water.
Feed your betta a really good pellet food, such as New Life Spectrum, Omega One or Attison's Betta Pro. Avoid flakes and brands with wheat or gluten fillers.
Keep up water changes - when we know what size your tank is, we'll be able to give you advice on how many per week. :) An API Master Test Kit (liquid, not a strip test) will be a very useful tool!

If you want to keep any medication on hand, just in case, go for Aquarium salt, Epsom salt, StressCoat and Indian Almond Leaves. Don't add salt to the water unless you have positively diagnosed the issue and know that it needs salt, however. :)

#5 ·
I didn't get it. My friend gave it to me for a b-day present and she owns fish, but she's never owned a betta so she didn't give me any tips. Mine doesn't jump, it just sits around. Also, my parents aren't very comfortable with me having a fish, so they won't get me an aquarium. I just saw my fish in the different water so I took the bag out. I'm feeding it wardley betta pellets but it won't eat anything!! I don't have a conditioner but I'm using bottled water. Plus my family is vegetarian so they're not very open about feeding it meat.

#7 ·
Fill this out.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

So your friend just gave you a fish without warning? Wardley is crap food IMO, feed him omega one or new life spectrum. The fact that you family is vegetarian shouldn't take away from the quality of life of your fish. Bettas can not live on a vegetarian diet. And for future reference you can go back and edit your posts instead of posting multiple times.

#8 · (Edited)
Fill this out.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

So your friend just gave you a fish without warning? Wardley is crap food IMO, feed him omega one or new life spectrum. The fact that you family is vegetarian shouldn't take away from the quality of life of your fish. Bettas can not live on a vegetarian diet. And for future reference you can go back and edit your posts instead of posting multiple times.
My fish is in a big glass bowl with no lid
I don't have a tank
I don't know
No
No
No
None
Wardleys Betta Food
Twice a day with 3-4 food pellets
Once a week
Haven't changed water yet
None
No
It hasn't
It hasn't really, she just sits around and doesn't move that much
Doesn't have any
No
No/ I don't know!!
I don't know!! I just got the fish from Petco/Petsmart in carmel valley
My friend got it not me!!
Yep and my mom doesn't want to feed it animals because of the whole veggie thing/ animal cruelty. Me, I'm fine with feeding it mosquito larvae. Personally, I think there are too many mosquitos in this world. Never knew you could edit!

#21 ·
You should tell your mother that a tiny tank is not the equivalent to an ocean. Also, point out that bettas do not live in the ocean, they live in shallow, slow-moving ponds, which keep heat really well.

Tell your mom that if she values life, she will value this fish. If she doesn't, let her know that it will be unhappy and possibly die. Just push the facts. Maybe she'll listen.

#22 ·
I think if you really want to keep your fish, there are some ways you can get by for a while until you can afford everything. Don't feel bad because someone gave you a pet and you were unaware of its needs, the fact you came here for proper care information says a lot! There are a lot of heaters you can get cheap for now (heaters are one item you don't want to skimp on, but you can't help that) from any pet store. My mini bowl heater was only about 10 dollars, and then the 25 watt heater I later upgraded to was about 10. As far as food goes, he/she should be okay for a while until you can get him some better quality food. If you are worried about it, you can get frozen bloodworms from the pet store for 3 to 5 dollars. Just make sure and watch his/her tummy to make sure it does not look bloated or constipated. As for tank size, this can be easily remedied :) I picked up a used 5 gal at a thrift store, but before I found that, I put mine in a huge glass container that I bought from the same thrift store for 2 or 3 dollars. You can also create more functional and attractive tank coverings by finding plastic container covers or cutting food container lids down to the right size. You can alter plastic plants from the dollar store to create makeshift "tank" decor, and add containers like flower pots for your fish to hide in. Plenty of people do not keep betta fish properly and they live years. I am definitely not condoning improper fish keeping, but want to assure you that your fish will probably be fine for a little while until you can get everything together. Check the dollar store for sure, you'll be surprise at what you can find there :)

#25 ·
AnimalLover, you might invite Mom to consult this forum (when tempers die down) for good information about how to care for a betta, something along the lines that bniebetta has sketched. Your betta will probably be fine in her small bowl for a couple of days until you get all the facts--though you will want to give her a water change then.

#26 ·
AnimalLover, tell your mum that I can totally sympathise - I am an animal lover and vegetarian too and pet food is a problem. However, there is no other way for bettas to survive - they are obligate carnivores and their systems simply cannot digest vegetable matter. As a result, a meaty pellet such as New Life Spectrum or Omega One is very important for this fish's health.

As an animal lover, I'm sure your mum will agree that it is important to keep a pet in the best circumstances possible, or it isn't fair to keep them at all. Bettas don't come from the ocean - they come from slow-moving bodies of water in Asia. Sure, they don't need heaters there, but that's because the water is consistently warm. In the US, it isn't, so a heater is very important.

Bottled water is also not ideal (if your bottled water is like ours) as it is stripped of minerals that the fish need. Tap water with a water conditioner will keep your fish healthy.

Please explain to her that if she won't let you provide your fish with what it needs, it will actually *be* animal cruelty, and that will be against what she believes in.

A general note: guys, AnimalLover's mum may be causing problems for his/her fish, but let's keep it polite, hey? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.