Betta Fish Forum banner

New time betta owner

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  ScentedLove 
#1 ·
Okay well first of all I would like to say I LOVE this forum LOL its so helpful but before purchasing my betta I would like to know if im on the right track. I have read most of the posts here and the general betta care but I would like for you guys to give me tips :-D.
The tank that I have decided to purchase is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Ec...uarium/dp/B0002Z7VRS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Its a 3 gallon tank.
I also decided to purchase this heater: http://www.aquariumguys.com/miniheater.html
The tank that i want comes with a fliter and the tap water conditioner but what else do i have to purchase to make my new friend last long and live successfully. :p
Thanks in advance ~ Eva

#2 ·
Good choice of tank!! That is a great tank, and he will love having nice warm water. Make sure you get him some nice soft plants. Bettas love to hide and feel safe. Also a cave. :) They love to sleep in a nice cozy cave.

Good Luck!!

#4 ·
yay thats the same tank I have!
If all you have in there is a betta its unlikely the gravel will really get that messy. If you still want to clean it though you can use a suction tube vacuum. They sell them at the pet stores- its just a length of plastic tubing with a cup on one end. It will suck up the ick. Or you can take all the gravel out and rinse it off or replace it.

#6 ·
There are different methods. I usually pour my water and gravel into a large tupperware container (I have one that I use for only this). The water will spill over the top but the gravel will stay in there. you can then dump out the extra water and fill and dump, fill and dump with warm water. Make sure to sift the gravel around so you get all the dirt out.

#7 ·
Do you have food? Not just pellets, they enjoy the occasional treat. bloodworms or brine shrimp are favorites. Only once a day, once a week. And good for you to get prepared before getting him! Kudos! lol

#10 ·
I have the 5 gallon version of your tank and I do about 30% water changes once a week, sometimes more often.

#12 ·
If I may make a suggestion I would really recommend the 25 watt Visi-Therm stealth heater instead of the little heating pad. Your tank is big enough for the larger size and the stealth has an adjustable thermostat so your tank will stay a stable temp and not fluctuate with the room temperature. It is a little more pricey, but well worth it because it is a SUPER reliable heater (the only one I trust). Plus, if you live in a colder climate the heating pad may not be adequate for the winter months.

To clean gravel in a cycled aquarium you can use a gravel vacuum to siphon out the poop. Just stick it into the gravel and the poop will be sucked up through the tube into a bucket and you just dump the water. The gravel will stay at the bottom and this way you can change out water and clean the gravel at the same time. In an uncycled tank you will need to completely rinse the gravel each time you do a complete water change. If you don't know about cycling it is a must and I would be happy to explain it to you.

Good luck and have fun with your new friend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.