Betta Fish Forum banner

Automatic Timer & Digital Thermometer?

437 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  shellieca 
#1 ·
Can I plug my heater into an automatic timer? I've discovered the heater and thermometer are actually working. I moved the thermometer to the opposite side of the tank and it read 78. But I'm wondering if I can plug the heater into an automatic timer so it goes on and off every thirty minutes or more? And what are your opinions on digital thermometers? A member recommended this one but the reviews seem sketchy.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...ers+&+Accessories&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

Moony's filter is still shut off because I'm not sure if he likes it. When its on it doesn't seem to suck any fins into it and he doesn't seem to struggle swimming with it on. I'm sorry I keep posting about this but I've never used a heater before. So I'm very concerned about it.

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

#4 ·
I know there are people who have used timers with pre-set heaters. I'd rather invest in a reliable adjustable heater. If the tank water stays a stable 76-80F without a heater then I'd go without one for now & then in the winter time, depending on your location, get a new heater.

#5 ·
Well I've turned the heater off, turned the filter back on and closed the vents in my room. So far the thermometer says 76 degrees. My Dad has the house cold to me and I think too cold for my aquarium even though it isn't by a vent. Its set up next to my bed.

#6 ·
I hesitate to issue you got to do it statements. But, in this case it is important. DITCH THE HEATER and get an adjustable heater.

Putting a heater on a timer defeats the one of the purposes of a heater. Namely, keeping a constant temp in the tank. I don't remember the size of your tank but the temp can vary widely using a timer. For the sake of your pet, get an adjustable heater!

#7 ·
My problem is its a 1.5 gallon tank and I'm hesitant to use a 25w heater. I keep looking at the Hydor 25W Theo. I know they are adjustable but even at the lowest setting how warm would a 1.5 gallon get?

I'm just trying to do the best for Moony and currently the heater I have is off. I've even closed off my air vents because I was too cold.

#8 ·
An adjustable heater shouldn't overheat the tank unless the heater is faulty. You set the heater to the temp you want, say 78F & the heater ONLY is supposed to come on when the temp drops below that. I use a 50W in my unfiltered 2.5g tanks (not the Hydor) & they stay at 78-80F depending on the room temp & if I have the lid on the tank BUT they never drop below 78F.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.