Betta Fish Forum banner

Crowntail Female Size?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  LeoTheLakerBetta 
#1 ·
So... I'm not all that familiar with Crowntails, but I brought home a female. For the same reason I always do, She told me She didn't wanna die in a cup.
And now I'm a bit curious: Whenever I see them in the store, the Crowntail females are always smaller than other females. So, I was wondering if they are just smaller naturally, or if they sell them younger, and why would they do that?
Because she doesn't appear to be growing. Most of the bettas I bring home grow noticeably as soon as they're settled.

#6 ·
I find the crowntails smaller as well. However, my crowntail males seem to be either slightly smaller than other males, or about the same size. If you make sure the female is not drastically smaller than the male, they can breed. The female aught to be smaller or the same size as the male anyways, though breeding bigger females to males who are a tad smaller can still work too.

#7 ·
All but one of my Ct's are the same size as all the other girls. I honestly think that that they are sold younger and maybe their growth inhibiting hormone gets the better of them before they go to a new home, since they are more expensive they are bought less. Atleast this is what I've noticed in pet stores. As for males, mine are the same size as all my other males except the PK's who are pretty large

#8 ·
haha one of our CT girls was tiny as hell when we got her (barely bigger than fry) and now she's the third biggest betta we have, second only to our two VT boys.

#11 ·
Hm, perhaps it may also be the condition, or age we get them :) Meagan was canadian bred, while most of my other females were older (still in the store for 3 weeks to 8 weeks) but had probably been stunted. Took a year for them to actually get big. My only big lady was my plakat, and recently another plakat (who died from columnaris). I have rarely seen VT females anymore here :shock:

#12 ·
Around here, there are two kinds of females in the pet stores: crowntails and unidentified. I think that the crowntails are more expensive simply because you DO know what you're getting, they're easily identifiable.
I have another female, I suspect a VT, who is over twice the size of the CT.
I've never really been all that interested in CTs, honestly, so I've never compared them to other types.
I was simply wondering how much I needed to worry about her, is all.
If it's fairly common, I'm just gonna treat her like she's normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.