Betta Fish Forum banner

Petco selling baby bettas :/

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  freeflow246 
#1 ·
Dropped by Petco today to grab a new thermometer (dropped mine and it shattered... cheap things) and some more food, and as I was looking through the bettas, as I always do, I saw a new shelf. At first, I thought they were guppies. But on closer inspection, they were baby bettas. Tiny tiny things. About as long as my thumbnail. Just old enough to show some color, but definitely too small to eat any of the stuff they sell at the store.

I took a picture on my iPhone. New to this, so I'll attempt to upload it soon. But seriously, can you believe that? The only bright side is that they're $2, which is about $9 cheaper than most of the fish there.

To top it off, when I was checking out I saw this lady buying a betta, along with clothes for her dog (gag). She was slamming it around and sloshing the water all over the place. :roll:

#3 ·
I know >_< There's threads about them all over here. I can't believe they're selling them either! At least my 2 local Petcos aren't..or I'd have to get one.
And about the lady sloshing the betta, WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?! lol

#7 ·
It's insulting to me as a breeder. Let the average person think it's easy to raise a betta and they'll end up breeding some veil tails in a bowl. It's not easy to breed and most people who try fail.

#9 ·
I have to explain this all the time to new breeders. YOU CANNOT RAISE FRY IN A SMALL TANK/TUB. I use nothing less than 20-30 gallons for growing them. Those juveniles will be stunted in a bowl/cube thing. They need tank with heat, proper food, and frequent, large water changes to grow successfully.

#12 ·
Hopefully it will stop soon due to that. It's ridiculous that any supplier would sell fish that young. It's ridiculous that the store would buy them. Betta that small still need a live food diet, they just stand no chance. :/

#14 ·
I saw some tonight. They were very cute, and one was quite interested in me. They also had a beautiful light blue and yellow HM. I felt so bad for them. I hope they are bought by Betta lovers. My husband was like, no no no.
At least their cups were clean and filled up.

#15 ·
My word and I though seeing girls that were less than an inch was bad. The fact they have to gaul to sell true fry at the store, this just sickens me.
Part of me is tempted to go see if mine has them so that I can complain in person.
Another part is tempted to buy them out to set up a 30 gallon and see if I can raise them right, of course I won't because that will just encourage them to sell more....

#16 ·
I don't know why they would sell them; they don't have nice fins yet, and they can't be making much profit. They were like $1.99. I'm betting it's a trend that will pass. No one seemed to be buying them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.