Betta Fish Forum banner

Do you NEED a filter to cycle a tank?

958 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Thunderloon 
#1 ·
Silly question but I have an 8 gal tank with no filter at this moment but I want to begin cycling it now so it'll be ready by July and mature by next winter. I thought i'd have a filter by now but due to unforeseen circumstances the filter just hasn't happened. My tax return comes next month so I will be doing the tank up fully then with plants and a filter etc.

I'm not sure what I'm doing with this tank tbh. I've never done a tank properly because of misinformation and not doing adequate research but this is my project.

#2 ·
Well, the bacteria need a source of oxygen, which I think is a key issue here. Without a filter you will have a very stagnant tank, and although the bacteria do colonize in the gravel, they may not proliferate very well if lacking oxygen. The one exception is that it may be possible to cycle the tank if you were to put in an airstone to oxygenate and circulate the water. In fact, I think I actually did this once before my filter came in and the tank did begin to establish a cycle. However, this was just a temporary situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.