Betta Fish Forum banner

Could I put my betta in her 10 gallon without cycling?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bombalurina 
#1 ·
I am setting up a 10 gallon tank for my female betta Celestia. Because of major problems with my tap water, I bought Carib Sea Ready Water to start off the tank. The water says it comes with bacteria that will allow you to put fish in right away. Would it be ok if I put my betta in without cycling the tank since the water has bacteria?

I don't want to have to do major water changes to keep ammonia down since the ready water is expensive. Would the tank be able to cycle itself without water changes and at the same time not hurt my betta with ammonia spikes?

#6 ·
I disagree - no harm in having a large tank. :) If I could keep all my bettas in ten gallons, I would

What is Marina Biosphera, out of interest? I've never heard of it. I'd generally be very wary of anything that claims to cycle your tank, short of actually using cycled media from an established tank.

#7 ·
I think I have heard of Marine Biosphera before. Is it the stuff that is now sold as Tetra Safestart? I am going to use that too, as soon as my Petsmart has it in stock. Do you think that with that and the water it will be safe to add my betta?

Also @DefStatic I want my betta in a 10 gallon because she will have lots of room to swim since she is very active and I will get 2 african dwarf frogs to live with her. She's in a 1.5 gallon right now, but it's not enough.

#8 ·
I was just curious. The more room the better yes. Just never seen one small fish in a 10gal.

And sorry for the typo, Marineland Bio-Sphera. Most other products are garbage, but many people report this product as actually working. I have never used it myself.

Never heard of anyone keeping frogs with a Betta. And yes, I agree a 1.5 is too small.

#9 · (Edited)
None of those "instant cycle" or "will jumpstart your cycle" things actually work or so many people on here claim. NEver hard of the marineland one though.

There are a few pwople on here that keep african dwarf frogs with bettas, i'm not one of them though. Never seen them for sale

Even with a cycled tank, you still should be doing a weekly water change and gravel vaccume.
There really is no way to cycle a tank without changing the water or getting an ammonia AND nitrIte spike unless you do a natural planted tank and that requires a certain amount of the right type of plants. Once the tank is cycled (no plants), you still need to remove the nitrAtes and the only way is via water changes.

what, exactly is wrong with your tap water? Unless its toxic, water conditioner will make it safe for fish.

#10 ·
I think I will cycle my tank before putting my betta since it's safer that way. I do have an already cycled 20 gallon tank for my other betta and I was wondering if I could put the filter cartridge from the 10 gallon in there so that it can gain some bacteria. Would it get enough bacteria just by sitting in the tank and if so, how long should I leave it there?

#13 ·
There's a whole thread on ADF care here, actually. A lot of people do.

I've never heard of anyone just sitting filter media in the tank so it gains bacteria, pretty sure it has to go through the cycle, or sit right up against the cycled media..
I do it. :) It doesn't make it cycled, as there is no real water flow over it, but, like the substrate, it still ends up housing some good bacteria. It won't make for an instant cycle, but it will help speed it up or kickstart it.

Do you think that if I squeeze my filter sponges from the cycled tank over the uncycled filter that it might cycle faster? Would this hurt the cycled bacteria?
It does help. You might see a mini-cycle in your established tank, but I doubt it. After all, it's not really any different to giving your filter sponge a rinse, which we all do now and again to get any excess gunk off. :)

#12 ·
Do you think that if I squeeze my filter sponges from the cycled tank over the uncycled filter that it might cycle faster? Would this hurt the cycled bacteria?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.