Betta Fish Forum banner

Tank cycling question? Please help!

786 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ajlepore 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new here and relatively new to fish! Last Sunday I bought a betta and cleaned out a 10 gallon tank that was given to me by a friend. I set up the tank with a heater and a filter. I did some research on the cycling process and bought a master test kit. I've tested my water every day since Sunday. I have a 0ppm ammonia reading now after having *maybe* a .25ppm reading for 2 days. I never got a nitrite reading but I did and still get a nitrate reading of 5.0ppm when I test my water. I'm wondering how I have a nitrate reading when I never saw a spike in nitrites first?

Also, I'm not sure if this information is needed but my pH is 8.4 and I performed about a 20% water change on Wednesday. I added some aquarium salt with the water change because I think the little guy I bought had/has some fin rot going on.

I do want to add some tank mates at some point but not until my tank is healthy. Any advice for starting up a new tank, why I would have a nitrate reading when I never had a nitrite spike or tips on treating fin rot would be extremely appreciated. Thank you!

#2 ·
Don't worry about having nitrates before nitrites, it happens. Have you tested your tap water? Mine has low nitrates so you could be getting that reading in your tank. When I did a fish IN cycle on a 10g my ammonia rarely went above .25, I had nitrates from day one, nitrites showed up in week 6 lasting for 2 weeks & the tank was finally cycled at week 8. So . . . be patient & diligent. As for the fin rot, providing him clean, temp matched & conditioned water typically is all that's needed.

#5 ·
Hello there..a good thing to have is Prime water conditioner cause it will detox ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but only for 48 hours then you can do a water change and add more Prime, it sure gave me peace of mind when I did a fish in cycle with my Betta.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.