Betta Fish Forum banner

Zuko's 10gallon cycling Journal

3K views 23 replies 3 participants last post by  bettaluver14 
#1 ·
I finally got my 10gal Marineland Bio-wheel tank up and running :-D it's such a beautiful tank and it includes(as seen in picture) neon gravel, bio-wheel filter, heater, thermometer, bee hive cave, ancient bridge, leaf bed, LED lights that have 3 settings(on daylight, on nighttime... blue, and off) I will be adding the ceramic octopus holding a "no fishing" sign and a neon cave into the tank once it is fully cycled.... it is in my male VT's current 2.5 right now. On this journal I will be posting questions, pictures on progress and daily parameters, and maybe some betta pictures of my baby :3. Below are the pictures of the tank as of 15 mins ago.

Start date of cycling: 2/26/13. Added 4ppm pure ammonia (in my case 1.5mL).
i have a question now by the way, when exactly should i start testing for nitrites and NitrAtes?( i test Ammo daily)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
thank you thanks you!
oh my goodness i'm sooo happy!!! my cycling is half way done!!! i did my daily ammo testing today and the ammonia was at 1ppm!!! and i checked the nitrites and it was up so im gettin' there:p it's going more smoothly than i was expecting! oh and, when should i do a water change to my cycling tank and how big of a WC? i heard you should at some point in cycling....

todays parameters:
Ammo.: 1ppm... dosed back up to 4ppm at 5pm
Nitrites: 5ppm
NitrAtes: 5 or less ppm.
(are these looking good?)
thanks and please answer my 2 questions that're in red;-):roll:

#4 ·
Those sound good to me..... Getting closer to the ideal parameters! But as a fair warning I'm not very knowledgeable in the criteria of cycling..... It is very much still a learning process of trail and error with me :/ Can't wait for more pictures and updates! Keep up the good work! :)

#5 ·
yay!!!! :3 i just added a medium sized red plant to the cycling tank too:-D i can't wait to see how Zuko reacts!!!

my ammonia went back down to 1ppm so i dosed it back up :p it's dropping faster and faster!! i'm happy everything is goin' smoothly.

plant:

Attachments

#7 ·
Hahaa thank you!!!! I may also add a mini version of that plant too so he has a second plant but its base broke so im not sure :roll: i just hopE the cycling takes just one more week :3

#9 ·
urgh :C i added more ammonia last night cause it went back down to 1ppm and this morning i checked it and it was at 8ppm -.- i just did a 30% water change so i hope it will be back to normal:|

#11 ·
good luck! :D

I did a fish-in cycle 3 times already, so it seems like that's what works best for me. Knocked the ammonia down to 0 in only about 2 weeks the first time :) I think I might do a fish-out cycle fr my next tank project.

#18 ·
Yeah I bet you can't! I'm home-schooled currently but I take classes at different schools so I wake up fairly early... Because the sooner I''m done, the better! lol But I can't wait to just be able to relax and not have to worry about being knee deep in work studying for my finals tests! lol

#19 ·
ergh!!! today is day 29 of my cycling, which means it's been 4 weeks!! when will my cycling be done?? :c i just added in some seeding material to hopefully speed things up. (a ceramic octopus from Zuko's old tanky)

#20 ·
guess what today is?!?!?!?!!!

Nitrite decreased!! it went from 5-2ppm :3
i'm sooo happy now!!
here was my parameters as of 2pm:
ammo:.50ppm
Nitrites: 2ppm
NitrAtes: 5ppm
i'm very haappy now i was running around the house Oh my gooodnessss! i can tell things will be ready fast now :-D

#22 ·
and today 4/1/13 marks day 35 of my cycling which means today marks 5 weeks!!! here's my parameters as of today at 7pm:
ammo:1ppm
nitrites: 2ppm
nitrAtes: 5ppm

come on nitrites im just waitin' on you!!!

#23 ·
lucky #42!

soooo i just tested my parameters and i noticed today was day 42= 6weeks of cycling. when i tested... i was amazed :3
my nitrAtes FINALLY increased!!!!!!!! zomygoodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
here:
as of 4:30pm 4/8/13
Ammo- 1ppm
Nitrites- 2ppm
NITRATES- 40ppm!!!!!!!!!!
they sky-rocketed from 5ppm to 40ppm! :-D :-D :-D :-D
should i do another PWC to prevent any buffers and keep things gong smooth?

#24 ·
Finally :3

Today is day 43 and as you all know yesterday i posted that my nitrAtes finally increased.. Well now TODAY my nitrites decreased!!!
Heres my parameter as of 8:30pm.
Ammo: 1ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
NitrAtes: 80ppm
My nitrAtes also increased more. I just added it back up to 4ppm but are things looking good?? :3 PLEASE reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.