Betta Fish Forum banner

cycling a 2.5

Tags
cycling
929 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  megan6o6 
#1 ·
So I am very new to this whole fish owning world but I have been reading about cycling a tank. My new betta, Pinku is currently in a 1.5 gallon and he is battling fin rot. I have been feeding my new tank every day and today I noticed white furry stuff on the pellets, so I removed them. I cant find pure ammonia anywhere and I am about to just give up and let the tank cycle itself when I put my fish in it. My question is, should I move Pinku to his new tank now? Or should I keep him in his smaller tank until he gets better? any sugestions about the tank cycling would be helpful as well. Is that white furry stuff just a part of the cycling?

#2 ·
Usually cycling a tank under 5 gallons isn't necessary. If you keep him in the 1.5 or move him to the 2.5, I don't think you're going to need to bother cycling it.

I also wouldn't recommend putting pure ammonia into the tank with the fish in it. Even though it's possible to do a "fish in" tank cycle, I really would advise against doing that in your case ESPECIALLY since he's already battling fin rot.

Making sure you do 100% water changes every few days is necessary to keep the water in good condition and keep the bio-load low.

Also, are you treating the water you're putting into his tank with water conditioner?

IMO, I would buy a cheap 5 gallon tank and start doing a fishless cycle with that now so that by the time Pinku is better, he'll have a nice cycled to move into.

That's just my two cents.

#3 ·
Oh no I was not planning on putting ammonia in with my fish lol. He is in a separate tank for now and yes I do use water conditioner. I just switched to prime because I found out that my tap water has ammonia in it. I would absolutely love to get him a 5 gal but my roommate was not happy with the 2.5 that I insisted on lol. Is it safe to put him in the 2.5 since he is sick? or should I wait until he gets better?

#4 ·
OK! I was worried when you mentioned looking for pure ammonia.

Neither of your 1.5 or 2.5's are probably going to end up getting cycled because they're a little too small and require too many water changes to keep the bio-load down.

As long as the water quality is fine in the 2.5, then the size of the tank really won't make a difference in terms of Pinku getting worse. He'd probably appreciate the room.

Out of curiosity, are you using any medications or anything for the fin rot?

#5 ·
I did aquarium salts for 10 days and that did not work. I have started adding stress coat. I have been changing about 30% of his water every day and doing one 100% a week. I would like to do more 100%'s but he absolutely flips when I put him in a cup! He really worries me with his banging against the sides of it. I have been thinking about getting stronger meds but he is my first fish and I am not sure what would be best.

#6 ·
Yeah, unfortunately AQ salt and stress coat would've been my suggestion. I really think he'll be fine if you move him to a slightly bigger tank.

You also might have more luck with the fin rot portion of your dilemma if you asked in the Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies section?

I am admittedly not much of an expert on diseases aside from using the basics.

#7 ·
Ok Thank you! I will move him tomorrow after I check the water and I posted in the disease section as well.

#9 ·
I know the common wisdom is that 2.5g tanks won't hold a cycle, but mine does. I have only had it set up for a few months, but it has never registered ammonia/nitrite. It is a very heavily planted NPT, and I think that is why it is so stable.

I still test, because if the cycle does go off the rails I need to know. But it is really on a once weekly water change schedule at this point.

Good luck with your tank!

#10 ·
Aquatic plant Aquarium Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Plant

It was a nightmare getting him in his new tank, but he is definitely digging the space. My next step is to get him some plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.