Betta Fish Forum banner

Nami has Fungus on his Fin

4K views 57 replies 7 participants last post by  bryzy 
#1 ·
Nami seems to have a little white cottony patch on his top fin. It's only a little patch about the size of a pen tip and he seems to be acting normally. Just wondering if I should be doing the 100% water change + 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt every day for 10 days or if I should just start using the API Fungus Cure. If I go with the Aquarium Salt, how quickly should I start seeing results? I don't know if I can get a picture to post because we don't have internet at home right now as we just moved into a new house. Thank you!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gal
What temperature is your tank? I don't know the exact temperature because I'm not at home right now but I keep it in the "purple" zone on my thermometer.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two Pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, small white fluffy patch on top fin.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1 tsp/gal of API Aquarium Salt. Did a 100% water change and added the salt. I plan on doing the same thing tonight.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Occationally chews his fins
How old is your fish (approximately)? Bought last Christmas

See less See more
#2 ·
I would do the treatment, but that is a matter of preference, I'd do the treatment, redose when I have to then when the treatment is done and the fungus is gone I would put a bit of aq salt for 10 days 1 tsp per gallon to make sure its gone gone. Also you can lower the temp around 75F slowly fungus thrives in warmer waters.

Perhaps its just an infection from chewing his fins. So make sure to keep the water extra clean :) Ials and oaks leaves help healing and help keeping mr bacteria and mr fungus away!

good luck

#3 ·
Thanks asukabetta, I never got your message before because I never had internet. I'm this is the 7th day that I'm doing the 1 tsp/gal of aquarium salt. How quickly should I see results from this method? There doesn't seem to be any change at all right now. Not sure if I should just use the API Fungus Cure or what. Unfortunately, he wont keep still enough for me to take a photo.

#6 ·
Hi Spencerjunie, since I have been treating him for over 5 days should I increase him to more than 1tsp/gal like the guide says? He always has stress coat in his tank, so that part is fine. I have API Fungus Cure and API Tetracycline, which one is better to use?

#10 ·
Since last night was the 8th time I've added the AQ salt + 100% water change I might as well finish off the next two days with that. I increased the amount of salt last night. I usually put in 2.5 tsp of it but last night I added another tsp. He doesn't seem to mind at all. Tonight and tomorrow night I will do the same to see if that does anything at all. If not I'll go with the API Tetracycline.

I have one question though, if it is fin rot shouldn't there be dark red or black on the edges, not white? If it ends up being fungus and not fin rot will the API Tetracycline do any harm?

#11 ·
fungus tends to be a secondary infection from fin rot or damage, I would start the medicine, aq salt is recommended for like when you finished the medical treatment with medicine to promote healing or if you are not intending to give him meds and relying on the fish's ability to heal itself, with just aq salt and clean water.

Daily water changes and medicine redosing as the meds instruct and see if that helps him

#12 ·
Thanks asukabetta! I'll try the medicine tonight, seeing as how the salt doesn't seem to be working anyway. For medicating, should I remove everything including the stones at the bottom and then treat the water? I assume I put the stress coat in the tank with the medication as well.

Once I'm done treating do I start doing the AQ salt treatments again, or will that be too many days of salt/medication in a row?

Thank you so much for all of your help! I hope this clears up quickly with the medication.

#13 ·
I wouldn't start with the aq salt, give him a few days rest too much salt is bad for their kidneys.

If anything use Indian almond leaves. They do not harm. And you can never overdose them.

I hope so too keep us posted :)

#14 ·
Okay. I was thinking that would be too much AQ salt for him as well. Where would I find Indian Almond Leaves? I've never heard of it before but I'm willing to buy some if I knew where to get them!

He still seems fine, luckily. Still swimming around and begging for food and coming over to greet us.

#15 ·
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the instructions on the packet of the API T.C. Tetracycline. It says: For best results remove activated carbon or filter cartridge from filter and continue aeration. For each 10 gals use one packet. Repeat Dose after 24 hours. Wait another 24 hours and then change 25% of water. Repeat this treatment a second time, for a total of 4 doses. Then make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge.

Here's where I'm confused:
Day 1. All new water + stress coat + medicine <-- Take out filter
Day 2. Change 25% of water + 25% of stress cost + medicine
Day 3. All new water + stress coat + medicine <-- do i replace all of it on Day 3 or just 25% again?
Day 4. Change 25% of water + 25% of stress cost + medicine
Day 5. Change 25% of water + 25% of stress cost + New Filter

Also, since I have a 2.5 gal tank I will have to measure out this package and divide it for the appropriate amount. I don't want to over medicate.

Thank you!

#18 ·
I treated Nami for the first time last night. He looks so pitiful without a plant or anything in his tank but I guess it's for the best! His tail fin seems to be shorter this morning and now there are holes in it. The white spot is still there though. How long would it take for that to come off? I'm really worried about.

I'm still unsure about how I treat him on day three, like I mentioned above.

#22 ·
Thanks asukabetta! So I should treat for fungus and use aquarium salt at the same time? Or should I just do one or the other? Is either one better than the other? Since I've already done so many salt treatments and now medicine treatments, should I give a day of just water + stress coat or start on the other treatment right away? Thanks for all your help!

#23 ·
I have one question though, if it is fin rot shouldn't there be dark red or black on the edges, not white? If it ends up being fungus and not fin rot will the API Tetracycline do any harm?
If it was fin rot then the rotted part would most likely be outlined in black or sometimes red. I didn't see that in the pic. He looked like a normal crowntail to me *shrugs* When fins regrow the new growth will be a transparent white.

I doubt the tetracyclin would hurt him. From what I can tell and I am no expert in fish meds -I think Tetracycline can be used as an alternative treatment for Erythromycin. One of the disease stickies has [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]ERYTHROMYCIN listed as a treatment for both fin rot and fungus. Sakura is the one to talk to about meds. She knows all

If you have constantly been medicating him, I would give him a break and then treat with the fungus med. I'm not sure if salt can be combined with fungus cure...

I do know that when sluggles has fungus on his fin, I added quick cure and it was gone in like 4 days. It's sold as a parasite med mostly but also does wonders for fungus as well.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]

#24 ·
I didn't think it was fin rot either. His fins have always been blue with pink tips but since tonight is the last change of that medication, I will finish it off. Tomorrow I will add all new water + stress coat + filter. Then I'll give him a day to flush out the medications. I assume one day will be long enough and then I can start the API Fungus Cure. I hope that it works quickly.

I haven't seen any new growth yet either. The Tetracycline seemed to do quite a number on his fins. I hope they regrow quickly, poor little guy.

If it was fin rot then the rotted part would most likely be outlined in black or sometimes red. I didn't see that in the pic. He looked like a normal crowntail to me *shrugs* When fins regrow the new growth will be a transparent white.

I doubt the tetracyclin would hurt him. From what I can tell and I am no expert in fish meds -I think Tetracycline can be used as an alternative treatment for Erythromycin. One of the disease stickies has [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]ERYTHROMYCIN listed as a treatment for both fin rot and fungus. Sakura is the one to talk to about meds. She knows all

If you have constantly been medicating him, I would give him a break and then treat with the fungus med. I'm not sure if salt can be combined with fungus cure...

I do know that when sluggles has fungus on his fin, I added quick cure and it was gone in like 4 days. It's sold as a parasite med mostly but also does wonders for fungus as well.

[/FONT]

#27 ·
I'm going to put clean water in tonight and tomorrow night start the fungus cure. I think I'm starting to see a tiny bit of new growth but it's REALLY hard to tell. I'm going to put his plants and things back in tonight as well, so hopefully he'll feel a bit more at home. :)

#30 ·
Well so far I've done:
1. 8 Days of Aquarium Salt -- Nothing
2. The full treatment of Tetracycline (supposed to cure Fin Rot) -- Nothing but small bits of his fin coming off but the white spot is still there
3. On Day 3 of Fungus Cure (cures both Fin Rot and Fungus) and the white spot is still there.

What else would you suggest to do??

#31 · (Edited)
Do the fungus treatment for the full course. If that dosen't work, we drag sakura or oldfishlady in here.

Is it getting any worse? And he is still acting normal?

If it is indeed a fungus, the only suggestion I have is to use Quick Cure which is malachite green and formalin (some form of formeldahyde). I used it before for fungus and I know it works.

I got this from another betta site and I don't remember if I mentioned it already or not.

Saprolegnia
Scientific name: Saprolegnia species
Common names: true fungus, cotton mold

Saprolegnia is what we call a true fungus, although it falls outside of the Fungi kingdom. It is generally a secondary infection due to an injury, parasites, viral or bacterial infections or other skin issues in your fish. This fungus takes advantage of already injured fish (or fish eggs) and infests the wounds and dead tissue. It occurs more often in fish kept at low temperatures.

This too looks like puffy cotton, but generally does not occur in a saddle-like pattern. It is more likely to affect small areas of the fish’s body or fins. It tends to have more of a hair-like appearance than columnaris. (If you’ve ever left a bit of food in the tank uneaten, the fuzzies that grown on it are most likely saprolegnia)

Treatment: Generally once the underlying condition (usually pseudomonas if on the fins) is treated, the sapro infection will go away on its own. If it does persist, effective treatment would be with a formalin-malachite green solution (like QuickCure). Some sources state that acraflavin, malachite green singly, and Tri-Sulfa can also be used
Does the white spot look like this

The one above is fin rot that also has a fungus. The black part is the rotting fin.

I know how frustrating it is to not know what is wrong or how to treat it. I have one that has clamped fins and is skinny BUT acts perfectly fine. Internal parasites seems the most likely but the treatment fo that failed.

Tetracycline - do you happen to know if you have a low PH?
Tetracycline
Ingredients: Tetracycline Hydrochloride activity
Diseases: antibiotic, treats ulcers and open soars, frayed fins, mouth and body sores, abdominal bloat, red patches, bacterial infections, livebearer disease, fungal infections, dropsy, furunculosis
Contraindications:
Cannot be combined with any meds except for medicated foods. Very effective at low pH or acidic water condition with pH no more than 7.4-7.5 otherwise ineffective when used with salt and high hardness levels.
you can also try a med called mardel
Mardel is the name of a company that makes fish meds like maracyn, maracyn 2, copper safe( I think?)

#33 ·
I don't think it's getting any worse. He seems to be favoring the bottom of the tank now and isn't being quite as friendly but maybe this is because I took all of his plants out. He's still eating though. Here are some new pictures:

Sorry they aren't very good. He didn't want to stay still.

As for the kind of fungus, I have no idea. It's kind of in between two strands. Does that make any sense? It's the end of day 3 so there's really only one day left now. I'm not sure what the PH level is or was. I have been using the Fungus Cure which is green in color, is that similar to the other treatments?

Do the fungus treatment for the full course. If that dosen't work, we drag sakura or oldfishlady in here.

Is it getting any worse? And he is still acting normal?

If it is indeed a fungus, the only suggestion I have is to use Quick Cure which is malachite green and formalin (some form of formeldahyde). I used it before for fungus and I know it works.

I got this from another betta site and I don't remember if I mentioned it already or not.

Does the white spot look like this

The one above is fin rot that also has a fungus. The black part is the rotting fin.

I know how frustrating it is to not know what is wrong or how to treat it. I have one that has clamped fins and is skinny BUT acts perfectly fine. Internal parasites seems the most likely but the treatment fo that failed.

Tetracycline - do you happen to know if you have a low PH?

Mardel is the name of a company that makes fish meds like maracyn, maracyn 2, copper safe( I think?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.