Betta Fish Forum banner

To filter or not to filter?

695 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Myates 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all! I am doing research on breding. It's something I'm really interested in trying at least once. I've yet to see an answer to this perticular question.

By the way, before anyone asks, I have plenty of homes for them after a heavy cull. Plus, I'm gonna be doing the dad in method for the first 2 months (I like the articles published on the effect it has on the offspring), so I'm pretty sure I will get a second cull from Daddy dearest too! :lol:

My question is about my filter. I have a Tetra Whisper 10-30i in my 10 gallon. The current from the intake is strong (the output is actually very gentle) and there is no way to put in a sponge that I know of (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So should I filter or not?

I have a few plants and I'm not opposed to multiple daily pwc. I might also be able to get my old Aquatec (walmart brand) power filter rated for a 15gal, but I would get it back when I was about to use it so no time for cycling it :-?
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
Are you talking filtration for the entire spawning and rearing process?

If so, my method is broken down into three methods -

1.) For the initial spawning and first week, I do not filter the water. I add hardy plants such as Anacharis and fern, which help to filter the water on their own. Filter currents (even from the most gentle filters) can be very destructive.

2.) At the one week to two week point, I turn on a previously submerged sponge filter with a control valve connected to it. These are dirt cheap, you can find them for around $4 on eBay. Depending on the size of the spawn and what I've spawned them in, I also begin using an airline tube with a piece of pantyhose taped to the end of it to remove poo and debris, while keeping the kiddos safe.

3.) Once the fry reach approximately an inch in size, I increase the amount of filtration to what they can handle. Keep in mind that the current normal waterfall filters create can throw the babies around enough to do serious damage, or even kill them.

I also add mystery snails at night as a clean-up crew to remove uneaten food. Remember that snails create waste, too, so it'll still need to be siphoned out. They just get the hard-to-reach places :)

Here's a link to the type of sponge filter I swear by -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bio-Sponge-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3a74e6231e

Anacharis -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANACHARIS-L...794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5197a8d772

Fern -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LACE-JAVA-F...136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519c7a5e08

#3 ·
So no filter as it can kill them. Got it.

I will have to see if my PetSmart has those sponges as I have no way to buy anything online. It will have to be cheep otherwise they will be dealing with just the plants and extra pwc.
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
Have to agree.. I have smaller sponge filters for the breeding/fry tanks, and then larger ones for the grow out tanks.

Dad in is a good way, but don't count on it solely as many will eat all of their offspring if given the chance. Each male is different.. but attempting it is good, just keep a very close eye on him.
To help prevent him from eating all of them, get lots of floating plants - or even make a spawn mop with acrylic yarn to give the fry cover if the male starts hunting them down while you aren't around.

#5 ·
Understood. I got real plants as well as 1 nice plasic (the soft-ish kind with no sharp areas) one that's like shorts little plants that Gus can't get into. I'm looking for a floating plant, but have found NOWHERE around here that sells them! I might be able to buy something off someone here next month. I'm interested in the yarn thing though. How do you make it and what kind of yarn is good to use?
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
I'll pm you the link... can't post it here >.<

They aren't needed, but they do help with water quality - I have a tank set up just for growing plants, along with plants in other tanks.. can never have too many if you are breeding :)

#7 ·
yep no filter till there big enough not to get sucked in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.