Betta Fish Forum banner

Nylons on filter intake? Filter changes? and Prime for cycled tanks?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Kim 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm setting up what will be my first filtered and cycled tank, have started on the fishless cycling method, and will be adding my betta once it's complete. A few questions have popped into my head:

(1) The filter intake has large, open slats that I feel his fins could get caught in and be ripped by. I've read that pantyhose can be put over the intake and I wanted to confirm that nylons are safe to be put into an aquarium? And how should they be attached to the filter intake? (rubber band?) Any other suggestions for covering the intake?

(2) Once I've got the tank cycled a few weeks from now, I'll have reached the manufacturer recommended time to change my filter (Marineland Eclipse 5 corner tank with biowheel and filter). How much disruption in the cycle that I've established can I expect to see by changing the filter? And is there anything I can do to prevent a mini-cycle that the filter change might cause?

(3) Finally, in my reading about cycling tanks, a few articles cautioned against using water conditioners that neutralize ammonia, which Prime does. Can Prime disrupt an established tank's cycle, and should I be using a water conditioner that only treats chlorine and chloramine?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any input is greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
I had pantyhose on my intake tube after Flair injured himself on it. Downfall is the stuff in the tank doesn't get filtered through. I had issues with stuff gathering on the outside and then there wasn't enough pressure to turn the bio wheel. I went and bought some sponge filter and cut it up and put a piece inside it. Helped a lot. Helped make the suction a lot easier - but still enough force to turn the wheel.

When I change my filter in my Eclipse Corner 5, I never have a problem with a cycle mess up or a mini cycle when changing it. I only had a mini cycle when I cleaned the ENTIRE tank after a little accident I had.

I also use Prime in my tank. It works wonderfully.

#3 ·
Thanks so much for your input, it's fabulous to hear from someone using the exact same tank and to know that there aren't any of the problems I was worrying about! The sponge filter idea is great - I'm going to hunt some down in one of my local pet stores ASAP.

#4 ·
I use the Elite mini filters...I cut them in half and stuff it in the open slit section of the filter. If you need anything pm or something.

#5 ·
I use Prime in my uncycled tank and if you put it in your tank for your own sake please DON'T smell it. (I made that mistake once and don't want anyone else to make the same mistake!)

#6 ·
Ugh it does stink...I smell it though without trying. I open the bottle and I found the less the bottle has the more the smell escapes lol.

#7 ·
Hi everyone! I'm setting up what will be my first filtered and cycled tank, have started on the fishless cycling method, and will be adding my betta once it's complete. A few questions have popped into my head:

(1) The filter intake has large, open slats that I feel his fins could get caught in and be ripped by. I've read that pantyhose can be put over the intake and I wanted to confirm that nylons are safe to be put into an aquarium? And how should they be attached to the filter intake? (rubber band?) Any other suggestions for covering the intake?

I use pantyhose..I just cut a piece and knot the end then slip it over the intake. You can put a knot in the side too to make the opening smaller. It does trap gunk though, but since I have all silk plants there's really not much to filter out of my tanks so it doesn't bother me.

(2) Once I've got the tank cycled a few weeks from now, I'll have reached the manufacturer recommended time to change my filter (Marineland Eclipse 5 corner tank with biowheel and filter). How much disruption in the cycle that I've established can I expect to see by changing the filter? And is there anything I can do to prevent a mini-cycle that the filter change might cause?

I wouldn't recommend changing it right after the cycle. There's no need if there isn't any waste accumulating...plus you don't even have to change it every time (manufacturers just say that so you'll buy more filter pads). I use the same filter pads until they basically fall apart or get too dirty to clean and my tanks always have 0 ammonia and nitrites and around 5 ppm nitrates. I'd wait until about a week of having the fish in the tank and then when you do a water change just swish the pad in the old tank water and put it back in. This should keep your tank cycled.

(3) Finally, in my reading about cycling tanks, a few articles cautioned against using water conditioners that neutralize ammonia, which Prime does. Can Prime disrupt an established tank's cycle, and should I be using a water conditioner that only treats chlorine and chloramine?

For normal maintenance after the cycle is established Prime is a great water conditioner. I think the problem is that you don't want it to neutralize the ammonia that you are adding while you do your fishless cycle. I haven't used prime myself though, I use the API water conditioner which doesn't neutralize ammonia and all my tanks have cycled fine with this. Maybe someone else can help you better with the possible issues with Prime and fishless cycling.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any input is greatly appreciated!
Hope this helps :)

#8 ·
Haha I've heard words like "sulfur" describing the smell of Prime, so I've tried to keep my nose clear of it. Thanks for the heads up!

It's good to know that there are options regarding the filter intake - as excited as I am, I've still got a few weeks before my little guy will be in the tank, so I've got time to decide what will be best for him.

And for the filter, you don't change it until it looks visibly dirty? And in the meantime, you just rinse it a little in the old tank water with each water change to keep it clean? Sounds much more simple and stress-free regarding the tank's cycle! Thanks for the advice!

#10 ·
And for the filter, you don't change it until it looks visibly dirty? And in the meantime, you just rinse it a little in the old tank water with each water change to keep it clean? Sounds much more simple and stress-free regarding the tank's cycle! Thanks for the advice!
Yup, I swish mine out once a week during water changes. You can rub it a little with your fingers too to get any gunk that's stuck in it out. Other than that it's really fine and I think this helps keep the tank cycled better especially when it's new. Not to mention what you save on filter pads :).

#9 ·
I change my filter every 4 weeks....ugh that reminds me I need to buy some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.