Betta Fish Forum banner

New CT Female

813 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  LikeDiscoSuperfly 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's the story... My excuse >.<
My brother is planning on getting a tarantula so we went to PetCo to see what supplies they have. While he was looking at the spider stuff I of course went over to check out the bettas. Most of them were in clean water so I thought all was good. But I also saw a few in absolutely filthy conditions. Some even had fin rot! D: I guessed that the ones in the clean water were a new shipment. At the bottom of the betta shelves they had 6 cups with females in them. most of them looked dead. Some were floating on their side gasping :( Only two looked remotely alive. This blue CT and a brownish DBT. The DBT had pretty intense stress stripes. So here are these two fish sitting in an inch of filthy brownish water staring at me. Its as if they were pleading for help (or so I imagined). I ended up taking the CT as she looked healthier and was more responsive. It's sad how no one wants the females because they arent as fancy.

We then stopped at walmart so I could have one of those tetra preset heaters. I hear they do good in smaller containers. I had sherman in the 10 gal before but I took him out and replaced him with the new CT. He wasnt enjoying the space anyways. Ever since I got him ALL he would do is chase his reflection on the glass of right side of the tank. He's also started tailbiting so I thought it may have been stressing him out. Its been worrying me so I thought maybe a new home would help. He's currently in a 1.5 gal with the tetra heater. temp is at a toasty 79F. If the new female shows aggression to her tankmates I will put Sherman back in the 10 gal. But she's really nice so far.

Anyways, back on topic: So I put in the new CT in my 10 gallon community. She is REALLY active and just zooms around everywhere like a little torpedo. One thing I have noticed is that she is by far the most curous betta I have ever had. She seemed fascinated by my thermometer. She will swim around it staring at it. I stick my hand in the water and she comes over to investigate. I dont know if this is a female thing or what but its really sweet.

Here are the pics. Her colors have brightened up already. When she was at petco she was very pale. Her scales were a light blue color. Oh yeah, she's TINY only a little more than an inch long. Named her Bella, No not because of twilight, but because it means "beauty/beautiful" in Spanish (my home language).

Day 1

Today

She loves the anacharis

Platy who photobombed the phtoshoot lol. These guys are total attention freaks!

See less See more
#9 ·
Yup, she's my first female :D

PS: Guys, what do I feed her? Sherman's pellets are too big to fit in her mouth :/ right now she's eating crumbled up flake food and a bite of the occasional shrimp pellet she steals from the cories. Is this ok?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.