Betta Fish Forum banner

Tank with Dead Fish?

637 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cjayBetta 
#1 ·
Sadly, my beautiful Scout was dead in the tank this morning. I'd only had him since Saturday and I have no idea why he died. I checked the tank parameters on Saturday night and Sunday night (ammonia and nitrites at zero, nitrates between 5 and 10ppm). The tank has been reading 78*. He was flaring and active Saturday, but on Sunday he spent a lot of time on the bottom of his tank although he did come up occasionally and swim some. He ate a bit at 10am, but nothing at 7pm. Aside from being inactive, he showed no signs of problems and when I looked at his limp little fish body after pulling it out of the tank, there is no fungus or any discolouration on him. I'm quite sad. :sob:

So we will get another fish, but I'm wondering if I need to do anything to the tank before putting another in there?

(5G/prime/plants x4/78*/filtered/gravel/cycled)

#2 ·
Dead fish produce toooons of ammonia, so you'd have to do either a 100% water change in a tank size where you can do that, or an enormous water change and a good gravel vaccuming. You'd also probably have to recycle if the tank has a filter. :)

#3 · (Edited)
Okay, I just tested the water in my tank.....

Ammonia: between 0 and 0.25
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: between 5 and 10ppm

So I have to start all over again? It took me three months to get the cycle going. (My lost fish had no tankmates.)

#4 ·
Hmmm... the ammonia has to be 0, right? I'd do a 50% water change, that should take down the ammonia. However, I'm not familiar with what the correct nitrate/nitrite are supposed to be, I'm sorry! But I think with the water change and a good gravel vaccuming, the tank should be fine! :)

#7 ·
I forgot to post on this again. I consulted with OldFishLady on this; she's so helpful.
I did 50% water changes Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and then Thursday night got a new fish. Any pathogens left in the tank should be gone after that amount of time without a fish. The new fish is very active (and hard to get a photograph of).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.