Betta Fish Forum banner

Driftwood?

878 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ilovebunnies 
#1 ·
I have always had a liking for driftwood. I'll probably be buying some today (If not, at least some time this week) for my fish tank redo.

I've heard that you have to either boil it or soak it in water for a few weeks. But, can you just rinse it off and put it in the tank?

The diftwood sold here in the fish stores weigh more then you'd expect they would, and holding one it's easy to imagine is sinking like a rock. I don't really want to wait a long time for the soaking and I can't boil it. I wouldn't mind tannins leaking into the tank, it's my goal to get tannins in that tank.

#3 ·
Thank you! Nope, at literally every LFS around here they just have huge buckets filled with big chunks of (dry) driftwood (I think it's usually african bogwood) that would fit into and fill a 10 gallon tank nicely. So I guess I'll just rinse it off and place it in once I buy some.

#6 ·
Great choice, driftwood does so much for the appearance of aquariums! I'm pretty sure the boiling/soaking for long periods is just for getting rid of tannins or to make it sink, so if you're going for the blackwater look, there's no need to do that. I agree with Jackislost, just make sure it's clean. :) I soaked my driftwood for a couple of weeks I think, but it still leaches some tannins. To me it gives the colors in the aquarium a subtle warmth. It's really nice.

#7 ·
In the last week, I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of drift wood. I posted this thread today that will explain some of the frustration I have experienced: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66609 However I also spent a lot of time boiling and soaking, making it feel like it was high maintenance. If you are going to just put it in the tank, then no worries! I am sure it will look beautiful! And if you start to see white fuzz (see other thread) never fear: it is nasty but common and supposedly temporary :)

#8 ·
tokala: I actually had that in my 10g before yet I had no driftwood 0.0 I wonder if zebra nerite snails eat it (getting 3 soon because I usually can't scrub more than 30% of the algae off.

I got a really nice piece of driftwood, it's smooth and has a pretty shape. I'll be adding the driftwood soon (Though there is nothing in my tank but a new substrate right now as I am redoing it) When I finish there'll be pics here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66656

#9 ·
Hey baylee, just make sure the water isn't too dark. The plants might have trouble getting light if the light has trouble penetrating the dark water to get to the plants. You can put the driftwood in now but you probably would have to do more water changes and maybe add carbon to your filter. A little bit of tannins won't hurt but the water can get pretty dark if the driftwood isn't pre-soaked or boiled. I think there are variations in tannin production depending on what wood you use.

Just a suggestion ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.