Betta Fish Forum banner

photo request-- show me the girls!

1K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  choob99 
#1 ·
Sadly, we're in the market for another female for the sorority. I'm feeling unimpressed by what I've seen recently. Show me the pretty girls! Yours, someone else's, in an auction.... I just want to feel inspired!

#3 ·
I can't post pictures from my iPhone, but feel free to look at my aquarium and profile picture.
My girl is special, as I thought she was a plain old veiltail. As it turns out, she is a a long-finned spade tail! Her fins were so long, a lot of people swore she was a boy, but nope! She is female.

#5 ·
That orange one is gorgeous! :D

#6 ·
I have 4 females & for me it's more about personality, which is hard to tell when their in the too little cups, but I think my girls are pretty . . .

Here are my girls, Pearl, Rosie, Violet & Ruby. Pearl, the "white" one, is currently in QT as I just got her 3 days ago, once she's bigger & I'm sure she's healthy she'll go into the community tank.

#7 ·
:D

You have a Rosie too! And ours actually look similar. Yours is a little more red, though. Mine has a blue sheen to her scales as well.
I named mine for Rosie the Riveter :p

#12 ·
:D

You have a Rosie too! And ours actually look similar. Yours is a little more red, though. Mine has a blue sheen to her scales as well.
I named mine for Rosie the Riveter :p
GREAT MINDS think alike!! :-D The pic makes her look more red, but she's got a kind of red/white checker board on her body but it never comes out in pics. She's the biggest of ALL my Bettas, including the males & is definitely the one in charge of the tank.

#8 ·
It was one of those unexplainable things. Alice was fine at breakfast (9:30). I even took pics of her bec I thought she was looking good. then an hour later, I went to cook my husband his breakfast, and looked over at my tank and she was at the bottom, being eaten.

There was no fighting in the tank, no agression at all, really, for weeks. Alice was our Omega, and always backed down to the others. I checked my water parameters, since Sunday is my water change day. The tank is fully cycled and I've been doing 10-30% weekly water changes on it, but even the nitrates were within normal "safe" parameters. they were high, within that norm, but still "safe" and since it was my day for a water change, I didn't think much of it.

I have no clue. no one is sick. no new fishies added. no change with my heater or water. ???

We're really unhappy bec she was the family favorite. The most intersting to look at of our female fish. My 3 year old named her... the first time she tried to name something other than "Candy Cane." Ugh. My 5 year old was still sobbing last night at 9pm. Poor kid.

thanks for the pics. I'm loving them!!!

#9 ·
and yes, we're down to 5 in the tank. I dont' necessarily want to rush out and get another female, since things are working well, but my husband is trying to point out the happier side of things to the kids, so we're talking about it. They like to go fish window shopping. LOL. 6 was also working well for us. I wouldn't be able to pick another submissive, though. That might be hard. I dont' want another 3 weeks of everyone fighting each other.

#11 ·
Pearl is pretty!! I'm a sucker for light bettas.

#14 ·
I find during the morning during the feeding time is when the girls get FEISTY. Usually I try to have breakfast in front of them so I can see if anyone's got any injuries.

Also over the weekend, I created a little hangout/feeding platform for them. Since some nicer pellets I feed them sink within 2 seconds, they fall on the platform instead of getting lodged in the gravel.

The hardest thing about a sorority is getting too many girls.

Since bettas come in so many different colors, you sort of want them all.

I've NEVER seen a orange one or a white one in the store. If I do and they're healthy, they're coming back with me.

Also I noticed a lot of the girls like to attack the victim from above. There's a few with missing scales off the top of their head. I haven't figured out who's responsible for those sneak attacks.

Keeping my eyes open.

Here's the final 5. The little ones seem to get along the best.

#16 ·
The hardest thing about a sorority is getting too many girls.

Since bettas come in so many different colors, you sort of want them all.
Betta fish - GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!
lol

#15 ·
they're very pretty, MSG!

Ours get fiesty when I fast them for a day, so usually, I'll do a one-feeding day twice a week instead of a full fasted day. They don't mind digging in the gravel for extra kibble, though, so I don't mind when pellets sink.

Our Walmart has had some giant females that I've been eyeing, but all of the more colorful ones are gone now. I think my husband wants something flashy, if we get a new one.

I do see orange females from time to time in my area. I'm not sure what we're lacking now. I think a marble or a dragonscale female perhaps.

#17 ·
I had a feeling when I was typing that out someone would bring up the pokemon theme. haha...

Same deal here. If I see a flashy girl I'll consider bringing her home. But they're RARE and usually when they're in the cups, they're freaked out anyway. So you rarely see their true colors.

I saw a similar betta like buttercup, & thought long and hard, but put her back because not enough color.

Once you add too many girls to the tank, that's when the problems start.

In the picture I posted, there's two shots where 3 of the girls are doing "Charlie's Angels" type poses.

Not sure if anyone noticed their resemblance.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AngelsPose

#19 ·
Oh, my word. that blue and white!!!! Thud.

#21 ·
$22 for that particular fish seems like a good deal. But I would hate to find the other girls having her for breakfast one day.

I don't have the experience yet to get one of those yet.

How long does it take that breeder to ship to the US? Any idea?

#25 ·
This is the 3rd time I try to post these pics so I hope it works! I collect photos of pretty bettas and I believe all these are female, there was only one that I lost the Aquabid description to. All the others said female.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.