Betta Fish Forum banner

Acrylic algae cleaner pads

837 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Narnian 
#1 ·
So I'll be getting an acrylic hexagon tank, and need something safe to clean the algae off that WON'T scratch.

I've seen magnets for acrylic and also those acrylic cleaner pads (but if you ask me, they sure seem ROUGH like they would scratch!!). Which would you suggest?

And if I use a soft, clean handkerchief to wipe the outside, would that be ok?

#2 ·
I first used a paper towel to clean the inside of my tank and just ran it across the glass. I got tired of this, though, and decided to use a toothbrush. It may be more tedious, but overall it's easier and more precise.

As for cleaning the outside, you should be able to use whatever you want. If you're using a spray, such as Windex, be sure to spray it on whatever you're using to clean the tank with first and not directly on the tank itself. You don't want any chemicals making their way into your water.

#4 ·
Wow, I was focusing entirely on the method and not the effects on the tank itself. I have a glass 10 gallon tank, so obviously it will not be scratched by a toothbrush. As for your acrylic, I guess the methods I use wouldn't carry over so well.

I'm not familiar with the acrylic cleaning pads you've mentioned, but if you're wary of them it's probably best to stay away. What about just a regular sponge pad? Like a kitchen sponge, but larger for more coverage and without the abrasive padding on the backside.

Guess I'm not so much help, but that's my fault for misreading your post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.