Betta Fish Forum banner

White cloudy stuff covering my tank?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Creat 
#1 ·
Whenever I set up a new tank, the first time i do a water change it will sometimes get this white growth on the walls and decor... is this the tank trying to cycle and its bacteria... I thought the beneficial bacteria couldnt grow on walls. And the major question is it harming my fish? some of them seem to react some dont, I'm not sure what to think of it... Its happened for a while but what is it?

#2 ·
Have you rinsed the gravel before you put it into your new tank? Sometimes that can cause cloudy water. And do you add any bacteria additives like Stress Zyme? I get that too, and it's not just a new tank. All this white lovely gunk, almost looks like shed scales or something, floats up when I pour new water in. Then it settles back down on everything, the plant leaves, the decorations. Ugh. I finally realize that when I keep my filter on low all the time, it doesn't stir the water enough to pick up all that gunk. So once a week, I turn it on high and let the water get really stirred up and watch all that gunk get sucked up. After an hour, I turn it back to low. It's really helped me.

#3 ·
The beneficial bacteria are sticky and adhere to everything inside the tank.......the walls, decorations, plants both fake and real, in the top layer of substrate and in the filter media....very little are in the water column.....beneficial bacteria need a surface area, oxygen and food source to colonize......

#4 ·
The tanks this happens in are the one's that are cleaned twice a week one 50% and once 100% the tanks are bare bottom 1-2 gallons ... and yes water conditioner/ stress coat is added to the water

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.