Betta Fish Forum banner

WHAT is THIS?!

3K views 85 replies 14 participants last post by  LittleBlueFishlets 
#1 ·
THIS was not there LAST NIGHT when I changed 50% of his water. It was not there this morning when I fed him and admired him. It was not there this afternoon. Suddenly it is there. Grey, he has never had grey on his body ever. Please help.
is this fin rot? all his fins look so ragged all of the sudden. I don't understand! I keep my fish in impeccable conditions!

5 gallons
filtered
heated
no tank mates
80 degrees
stress coat plus conditioner
omega one betta buffet pellets

he has been lethargic as of late but i thought it was because he wasn't eating enough. he is always hungry and I was only feeding him 3 or 4 pellets twice a day. he's 3.75 inches long. i discovered he should be eating more so i just today started feeding him more and he's perked up. been swimming back and forth, flaring at esmeralda. the usual. he still did take a couple of naps but I thought that was normal. He has always been beautiful. show quality if VTs were allowed. Perfect, very full fins. all of the sudden they are ragged and turning green to grey to black.

What do i do? what is this?@!

Attachments

See less See more
#53 ·
Gosh if this is like a bad haircut, its the worst hair cut ever lol. He loves his plant. I couldn't make him go with out it!

Oh he definitely will have stories to tell her and she better be impressed haha. Its true. The smallest little thing has everyone thinking myco. Constipated? Myco! Fin rot? Myco! Spot? Myco! ahhh I'll never be able to sleep well again lol.

#54 ·
If you get the Kanaplex this place has it with other some other items that are useful I bought some garlic guard for general purposed and other stuff yesterday for just in case:

1. Seachem Kanaplex: : 5 Gram Sku: SC08810
URL: http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/512731
SKU: 512731-881-SC08810
Quantity: 1

2. Seachem Garlic Guard: : 250 mL Sku: SC01760
URL: http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/503294
SKU: 503294-176-SC01760

3. Seachem Focus: : 5 gr Sku: SC06410
URL: http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/512692
SKU: 512692-641-SC06410

I am glad he doing well. Cheering for him!

#55 ·
Thank you! I was wondering if I should order a few other things that may come in handy some day but are not necessarily available in store. I know kanaplex is one, I have BiFuran already maybe I should get some garlic guard? What else?

#57 ·
I will definitely buy vitachem! Here is today's update. He is sleeping and resting a lot. Breathing is normal. Color is good. Ate 6pellets at breakfast and kept them all down. Passing waste normally. Tail is not bleeding and seems to be healing. Only one tiny piece of shed tail found in the tub today. Did 100% wc. 3 g water treated with 3ml stresscoat+ and 4 ml bifuran. Temp is 80. Here are some pics. You can see he's lost some weight. His poor head looks so big lol.

Attachments

#59 ·
:D Thank you

#62 ·
oh haha its not IAL. i don't actually have any. Its the BiFuran. It colors the water yellowish green haha

#63 ·
Update: so no change. His tail I guess is getting better, it is red at the end but I suppose that is from the tail regrowing. Still treating with stresscoat+ and BiFuran. Also added vitachem to the water today He is still very lethargic. He's spent the past 2 days just laying on the bottom of the tub. He does come up for air and moves if I put my finger to the tub but other wise just lays on the bottom. I'm hoping its just the medication making him like this. tomorrow will be day 5 of treatment. I am not sure if I should do another treatment or if I should return him to his tank. I worry that the medication is too hard on him but I am also afraid to return him to his tank and have him get worse.

#65 ·
Here he laying there. Here is his tail. The very edge where it rotted is a bit red but there is also clear regrowrh. By clear I mean see through

Attachments

#66 ·
that's how he has been all day the past 2 days. just laying there. in different spots but still, not exploring. just laying there and coming up for air and then moving to a new spot to lay down again. he's eating small meals. a couple pellets at a time. I don't know.. I'm just worried about his behavior. Its like his body is too heavy for him. Like he is just weak or something. His color is perfect though. Also, he's laying out in the open. Not hiding under anything or laying in his leaves.

#67 ·
It could be the medication making him lethargic. I don't see red spots but I don't see black fin rot either so that's a great sign.

Now, continuing him on the BiFuran for another few days is up to you. I'd suggest it just to make sure we've nipped that bacterial infection but if he continues to be lethargic then it's your call.

#68 ·
I thought it was the medication but wasn't sure. He does swim up to greet me and swims normally but then its like it was just too much and he goes back to laying down. Tomorrow is day 5 of the medication. The bottle says 5-7 days. I will complete the treatment because I understand that stopping treatment early can cause the bacteria to become resistant or mutate. But I don't think I'm going to do a second treatment either. I think I'll hold on til monday and then take him out.I think a second treatment would do more damage than good. I just hope he can take it for another 2 days.

#70 ·
I really hope so. I hope Indy makes it too!

#72 ·
Thank you. And thank you for sharing all your knowledge. You have been a great help :)

#74 ·
Stay tough little guy! I agree with you, I think there's a good possibility it's the meds making him feel urpy. :p My guys tend to get like that after a few days of meds as well, but they're back to normal once their TMT's are over and they're back in their clean water. :)

Prayers for Galileo continue!!

#75 · (Edited)
This morning he ate 5 pellets! He was also swimming around for a while. Now he is resting again. Still, that was quite the improvement. I can't wait to get him back in his home in clean water. Just one more day!

#77 ·
Ahh I am so torn. I want to put him back in his reg tank. But today is day 5 of the medication. I don't know if that means I should keep him in the medicated tub until tomorrow or if I can remove him safely today. After the improvement I've seen today it makes me want to take him out because he is still strong enough to swim around. I'm afraid more days will make him too lethargic so when he goes back to his home it will be too overwhelming. should I put him in his home today?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.