Betta Fish Forum banner

Free Platy and Platy fry to a good home! (Boston, MA)

4K views 44 replies 4 participants last post by  lilnaugrim 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I seem to have a bit of a platy explosion in my 40G breeder. My tank is so densely planted that a lot of the fry are surviving.

I would love to give my platy fry to someone who could give them a good home. I would also be willing to part with a few of my adult platy as well.

I'm located near Boston MA, all I ask is that you come to me! Send me a private message and I'll let you know where I am exactly.

Here are a few pictures of what these guys look like

I also have red painted fry!

See less See more
#3 ·
I'll keep that in mind, I've never shipped before and would very much prefer to be local but if I don't find anyone around here I'll learn how to ship!

I really like them.. but I didn't think this many babies would make it to adult hood with my blue gourami hanging around.

#6 ·
I'm so close but I probably shouldn't take other fish :-( they're super gorgeous though! If you need help with shipping, I can totally walk you through the process! I had to learn a few months ago as well ^_^ it's not as hard as you think it is at first :)

#7 ·
Thanks! Yeah, I hate to part with any of them.. but It's only a 40G tank.. and there are dozens in there!

For the meantime I do have two filters running in the tank, so enough filtration for up to 100G or so...

#9 ·
Yikes. I know someone who started with 6 guppies, and they now have hundreds. :shock: That's the nice thing about bettas- you can't really breed them in captivity unless you choose to do so!

Your platys are such beautiful fish, though. The iridescence is beautiful. I think I'm in love. My tank is already pretty well stocked, though, even if you were shipping. :-(

#15 ·
However, there are 5 cories and a Betta already in a 10, that's pretty much maxed out. And you can't just have one Platy, well...you can, but it's not very healthy since they are more shoaling fish just like guppies and all other livebearers. So I would not suggest you take them holly unless you have a different tank set up. Platies can get up to about 2.5 inches generally and they will contribute a TON to your bio-load as they're little poop machines!

#16 ·
Okay, good to know. Thanks, lilnaugrim. Alas, my biggest freshwater tank is the 10 gallon. I thought that the betta and cories maxed it out, but I was looking at aqadvisor, and it looked like I had room for a little more. I'm not going to take on any more fish than would be happy and healthy in my setup, so I guess I can't get any platys. They're so pretty, though; I may or may not be drooling a little...

#25 ·
NO! It's crazy! I only have 4 adults! two sunburst and 2 painted... I've never noticed any of them looking pregnant. I saw some teeny fry yesterday so someone had babies the other day... I wish they stayed tiny!

#27 ·
Well, when you get to 20 platys, you should start getting them outta there. Also, you don't want your fish to interbreed. This can cause deformities. But, for now, you're fine. You probably don't have to worry for awhile.

#28 ·
Yeah, they should be totally fine for now! If you want to, you can try to encourage some fry to come out of hiding by whacking a net around or something and maybe the parents will eat them *shrug*, probably not the best thing you want to hear haha but it's something you can do if it does become an issue.

You can also use them as feeder fish if you want for someone who has a turtle or an Oscar or some big fish, even Betta will eat the smallest of the fry's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.