Betta Fish Forum banner

Spawn Log: Levi (Blue Grizzle Butterfly Veiltail) x Skylark (Turquoise Veiltail)

6K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
So I found a girl today that I fell in love with that I'm going to breed to Levi, and start my own show line of veiltails :-D This will be my Spawn Log where I will keep track of exactly how the spawns going and what I'm doing.

1/7/09 - Have both bettas in a divided 10 gallon tank, I will be conditioning them in the tank together so they can see eachother. Once the female has filled with eggs and the male has a nest I will release her. It will probably take a week, or 2 for her to be ready and well conditioned.

Here is the divided tank, the temp is set at 82 degrees. I will lower the water level to about 4 inches a day before I release her.

Here is Levi

And this is Skylark

See less See more
#6 ·
Right now Im just conditioning them. When the time is ready I'll take out the divider, put her in a breeding vase and lower the water level, and give him something to build his nest under :)

#10 ·
Nothing really new to report! Skylark with have breeding bars one hour and stress stripes the next, so I think she's still unsure about whats going on. Levi has a small bubblenest in the back which makes me happy, I know that he's interested. There are a lot of silk plants right now mostly blocking their view of eachother. I am strictly conditioning them right now, feeding them a high protein diet of bloodworms, brineshrimp, and hikari betta bio-gold pellets.

#14 · (Edited)
I set up the breeding tank today. Lowered the water level, took out the divider, put Skylark in the vase, and gave Levi some Styrofoam to build his nest under. Skylark has had breeding bars since I put her in that tank a few days ago. She's already swimming head down in the vase every time she sees him. So as soon as he has a nest I will release her.

Here are a couple random pictures. And I took some videos that are uploading :)

Eating a bloodworm

And look how eggy she's gotten. This is the day I got her

and today

#20 ·
Bad news :( somehow skylark got out of the vase last night or this morning (I was at the boyfriends house from yesterday afternoon till just now) All I can think of is that shes a good jumper cause there's no other way for her to get out. She's pretty torn up right now, and seems thinner. But there are no eggs and barely any nest. So im not really sure what I should do. Im thinking of pulling them and reconditioning (and letting her heal) and putting either squishy and stella or Fraggle and Cleo in the breeding tank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.