Betta Fish Forum banner

Meet Shogun!! What is he? Big Ear?

872 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  bettalover2033 
#1 ·
Help me identify!!! Got him from an aquarium in HK. Thank guys.

#7 ·
I was going to ask about the eye aswell and wondered if he was blind.

Cute big ear. ^^ I love seeing non-salamander big ears, I'm glad people started cross breeding them.

#8 ·
He is a very pretty blue hmpk(halfmoonplakat) dumbo eared make. His color action would be blue and red wash butterfly or bicolor. I can't really tell from the picture because he may color in more and get a deeper. Color in from being stressed.

It is a little sad that most of the dumbo eared bettas can't swim properly or have a little trouble swimming. As amazing as it looks, im sure in a few years or more there will be incidents of "tail" biting on the pectoral fins. At least that is my opinion.

Regardless of the facts, it truly looks very pretty.

Also I would be a little worried about the eyes because if they are that cloudy, it could be a bacterial infection or the common fungus. Some bacterial infections cause "Popeyes" disease and are usually lethal to the betta's health. You can get multiple treatments and remember to read the directions. And with many of the medicines you shouldn't mix them. I use fungus eliminator and it always worked fine for me. Except for one time that I caught the disease too late.

Good luck!

#9 ·
Yeah you guys got me a little worried so did some tests and I am sure he isn't blind. He has no difficulty locating food, even once when a flake sank, he found it at the bottom, and he was attacking a dried worm multiple times last night (pretty hard to do if you're blind). As a final test, I removed my background screen and he flared at his own reflection, so he isn't blind.

I am now worried about the 'cloudy eye' infection though. I have Myxazin here at home, it says it treats Cloudy/Pop eye among other things, so it would be pretty easy for me to drop some in the tank. But I am worried it would cause problems if he was actually ok. The thing is I am no fish expert and as such am unable to tell if there is something wrong with his eye or if his eyes just look strange because of the camera flash/lighting? Should I just drop some medicine in as a precaution?

#11 ·
Well that last think you want to do is drop some medicine in. That could definitely cause problems.

Contact OFL (OldFishLady) and let her know your troubles. She is great in the diseases. If it was me I would put in that medicine, though I would double check with her as I am telling you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.