Betta Fish Forum banner

Fuzz Algae? Help!

991 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Here Fishy Fishy Fishy 
#1 ·
FyrIce has some fuzz algae in his tank. It is not kept in direct sunlight, other then the wee bit of morning when the sun is coming in through the closed blinds. By the time we get up, it usually is not shining directly through the window. I cycle my 2.5, feed normally, 3 pellets a day (since he's still a baby) and all of a sudden I see this floating undulating white fuzzy-hairlike algae on his silk plant and on some of the gravel. So I immediately get him in his reserve cup *don't worry he won't be there long* and rinse the heck out of the algae with scalding water. I should have taken pictures, but i'm just too hyped about my animals in weird conditions. Even though I KNOW fuzz algae isn't fatal on the spot.

I know this will happen again and i do not want to reposition the tank. There just isn't room in the home where he's in view, otherwise!
I see algaecides and whatnot in petco, but it's normally for green and brown algae. Am I doing anytihng wrong? The temp is NOT above 77 and never below 74ish. I have a 3i filter with a biobag and a heater.

What can I do and or use to fix this situation? I follow the betta sticky to a T.
I even have test kits, and levels are fine. Just those pesky algae love to get into trouble. Too bad I can't get an algae eater.

Anyway, enough rambling. Suggestions for Mr FyrIce?

(ps. doing a complete water change now)

See less See more
#4 ·
White fuzz algae could be this:

http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm

In this case, you'll want to get you betta outta his tank ASAP, clean and disinfect everything in the tank, and in the future, do more frequent water changes.

Gravel isn't neccessary to the tank unless you have an under gravel filter... it becomes a catch-all for organic matter. The matter breaks down to form toxic compounds and is a great place for flexi bacteria to grow.

You want to nip this in the bud, before poor water conditions and flexi spread to your fish...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.