Betta Fish Forum banner

Algae Eaters

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Eveh 
#1 ·
So I've decided to come to the experts again.

I was wondering if I should buy an algae eater for my betta fish's tank. I believe my tank is 1.5 gallons big and it's collecting lots of algae. Not good right? I know I should clean his tank but it's a big hassle and I don't have much time anymore. Plus I'm out of stress coat so if I do clean his thank then hes on his own.

I was in the pet sore and about to buy a package of 3 filters, stress coat, and a new piece of decor he can hide in when I thought about algae eaters. And also sadly we didn't have the money at the time to buy anything I needed for him :c

So. Is it ok to get an algae eater for my Betta? What kind? What will they cost? And will they fight?

Thank you very much ^^

#5 ·
So snails or shrimp are best for my tank but algae eaters not?

#7 ·
Snails are cuter anyway xD

#9 ·
One nerite snail will do a good job at the algae - mystery snails aren't bad either, never have any algae in my NPTs with them in it. Careful to buy just one.. more than that they will breed like crazy and they add a ton of ammonia to the water (snails are dirty).
Can also buy algae scrapers to use to clean off the sides of the tank when you do your weekly water changes.

Also would look into how long your tank is lighted.. having too much light will cause the algae to grow - I would say no more than 10, possibly 12 hrs of light a day max.

#11 ·
So wait, you have money for a new fish, but not a $3 thing of dechlorinator? I'm confused. Avoid getting any other fish (snails, shrimp, etc) until you are sure you will have dechlorinator on a regular basis. With a tank that size you need to do 2 water changes a week, with one being 100%, you shouldn't have any algae problems if you are doing the proper water changes.

Plus, if you were to get another fish (snail, shrimp, etc) you would have to actually increase your water changes, not do less. Unless you have a NPT, adding more fish means more work, not less.

#12 ·
I don't even know what dechlorinator is and right now I don't have the money for another fish. I'm completly broke.

#13 ·
Dechlorinator - water conditioner.. a must have to make the water safe for fish.. removes different toxins such as heavy metals, chlorine, ammonia, etc etc.. until you get it, I suggest keeping your water that you will use during water changes out for at least 24hrs before placing it in the tank. That will help with some issues.. but highly suggest getting some water conditioner as soon as you can.

There are many brands out there, but if you have little money then something cheap such as Tetra Bettasafe Water Conditioner from Walmart for a few dollars will work fine.

Adding in another animal into the tank will increase the bio load and bring in some more problems such as ammonia, etc.. which makes having a water conditioner even more important for the health of your fish.

#14 ·
Ohh ok ^^ My stress coat that I get says that it also makes tap water safe ^^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.